1- The anxious barista

Don't mess up, don't mess up, Daniel chanted silently in his head. It was his first day of work at Starbucks and the last thing he needed was to mess up something.

He was standing at the register, waiting, when he heard the ding at the front entrance. That meant a customer had walked into the cafe. When he looked up, he saw the most pretty girl he had ever seen, which made him instantly more nervous.

"Hello, and welcome to Starbucks." he greeted, managing to get it all out in one breath. "What would you like?"

"I'll get a venti pumpkin spice latte. No foam, extra low-fat whip cream and soy milk. Thanks." said the girl. Daniel was bewildered- that was a long order.

"Okay. Is that all?" Daniel inquired, his hands beginning to shake as he punched in the order.

"Yes. And please hurry up." great, Daniel thought. He had to make a complicated drink quickly.

"Sounds good," Daniel put out his shaky hands to collect the money. "$8.50 please."

She handed him the cash, and he nearly dropped it. He placed it into the cash register, and proceeded to make her drink.

As he was adding the milk, he stopped to think. Did she ask for almond milk or soy milk? He wondered. He couldn't risk messing this up. He grabbed the almond milk, almost sure that's what she ordered, and poured some into the cup.

When he finished her latte, he walked up to the counter to hand over the drink.

"Thanks," she muttered, not looking up from her phone screen.

"Have a nice day." Daniel responded, walking back towards the till to take a new order.

As he was talking to another customer, there was a big commotion in the restaurant which took him off guard. He ran over the the group and gasped at what he saw. Lying on the ground was the same girl he made the drink for.

One of the other customers called 911 and Daniel knelt down beside her. "Stay calm. Everything should be okay." he told her.

A lady rushed in just as he got up from the ground.

"She's allergic to almonds!" she exclaimed. Now it made sense. She didn't ask for almond milk, he remembered. She ordered soy milk.

Oh no. Daniel messed up bad.

Hello, thanks for reading!

This is my first attempt at a short story, so I'm sorry if this isn't the best. I'm not going to have a schedule for posting, I'll just post whenever I want to. 🙂😊

see you next time, xGabbyMariex 💞