Chapter 2- Awoken

-What is wrong with you today?- Ruelle walks cautiously between the shattered glass; Opens the basement door to find the broom,and begins to sweep the floor.

-Ruelle? Are you real?- Jesse is courageous enough to speak instead of gazing at her.

-Of course I am, if I wasn't real you wouldn't be seeing me, you know?- she laughs.

    Jesse approaches and squeezes Ruelle in her arms, awkwardly Ruelle pads her back not comprehending a thing.

-I've missed you so much, Ruelle- Jesse tears up- Where have you been all this time?

-In my room?- Ruelle answers unsure- hmm, you guys are acting really weird.

-My baby girl- finally Joe and Magda are able to make sense out of it and caress their missing daughter. They drag her to the living room and sit around her on the couch.

-Baby girl where have you been? Why didn't you call us? Why didn't you come to us? What happened to you? Are you alright?- Magda interrogates her.

-I've been upstairs the whole night. Why... why would I need to call you? I am fine mom. Why are you even asking me this?- Ruelle struggles to contain her confusion.

-What do you mean you've been upstairs? Do you not remember what happened? Did anyone hurt you?- Joe snaps.

-No, nothing happened. Why are you tormenting me with these questions?

-Ruelle tell us where have you been?- They persist angry as Ruelle shakes her head each time more mortified.

-Wait. Mom, dad stop- Jesse says and they glance at her- Ruelle what day is it?

-Today is August, 30th of 2016, Saturday. Right? or is it 31st?- She replies confused leaving everyone perturbed, Magda suddenly takes her hands off Ruelle and steps away from her.

-No darling, today is September, 10th 2017- Joe corrects her while holding her hands tighter .

-No way, today is Saturday, 31st 2016, not 17- humorous tears start to fill Ruelle's eyes.

-Look - Jesse points at the date on her phone- See. You went out that day and you never came back. We tried looking for you, but you were nowhere to be found.

-No, no, no- she begins to whisper- that's... that's impossible... I... I've been here... Today is august 31st, 31st of 2016, not 2017...Are you guys insane? How could it be a year later... if I was here last night - Ruelle stands up to avoid any contact with them, observes everything around, and an odd sensation goes through her body and some part of her believes them. Desperately Ruelle begins to giggle as tears roll down her face- This is a prank, right? You got me now- she laughs louder and louder until it turns into hurtful screams- A prank, it's just a prank, it's a prank, nothing else but a...- She stops, gazes at her reflection on the clock and sees her face distorting she tries to hold everything with her hands but it's not working, the clock ticks faster and louder. She looks at her family begging for help but they are all sitting on the couch just staring at her and laughing- help me- she whispers as her head starts spinning around- no, no, no, make it stop, make it stop- she repeats over and over again covering her ears.

Unexpectedly the room gets smaller and smaller until she's trapped inside a box with no exit. She screams but it's inaudible, her heart is pounding, blood is rushing and it gets harder to breathe as she gradually rolls into a ball and holds her legs tight to her chest. Jesse leans over to touch her shoulder, and rapidly Ruelle slaps her hand away, her family is staring at her alarmed, the room is spacious again and the clock is back to normal, but her heart still pumps hard, there's sweat running all over her face- get away from me- Ruelle lifts herself up clumsily, opens the door and goes outside disoriented tripping on the ground, she glances around and Mrs. Johnson is getting the mail - Mrs. Johnson- she calls for her, and in an instant Mrs. Johnson starts yelling and runs inside the house.