Chapter Eight

Theo's POV

The crunching of leaves under my feet calm me as I stare at the crumbling city. It used to be a beautiful busy place. A warmth hand grips my shoulder.

"We should probably see if any sane people live." Ty's voice cracks. I know he misses his family. We all do. I know we all miss the annoying siblings that would bug us about playing with our cell phones. I don't understand how selfish and cruel some people are. All of this treacherous behaviour has been brought upon by the awful beings.

Cell phones. If we can get a station up and running then we can contact anyone with a cell phone. I shrug Ty off and walk inside. Ella and Jay are cuddling on the couch, Trish is playing with Maddi, Melody is playing the piano while Ty jokes around with her. I walk over to Jackson who is over by the fire.

"Hey." I awkwardly start up a conversation.

"Hey." I can tell he is also in the same boat. We all are. He just doesn't want to express it. His gaze goes elsewhere instead of the fire, Trish. His gaze lingers, and I can tell by the way he is looking at her, that he likes her. It makes me wonder, why am I the unlucky one. All my hopes and dreams have been taken from me and the only person I really liked, gone.

Jackson turns to face me, "Do you know what love is like?"

The question surprises me, "Yeah. It's wonderful. Don't ever lose it. Cherish it and do what you heart tells you to, or you might regret it one day."

With that I walk away, the ache in my heart is too unbearable. I miss her. My Courtney. I told her in the warehouse at the breach of death. I regret everything. Why couldn't I tell her earlier and spare her life, like my friends. I walk out of the room and into mine. I fall to the ground sobbing my heart out over her. The one person I ever loved more than my own family, and because of me she is dead. I crawl to my bed and lie down. I cry and cry, my arms subconsciously wrap around me and I don't even remember falling asleep.

___________________________________________________________

I'm standing amongst everyone in the warehouse. Everyone is busy going about their daily lives. Not me. I'm standing next to Courtney. My Courtney. The most amazing person ever. My friends are elsewhere, probably down the road at the ice skating rink. I stare into deep dark brown eyes that are like whirlpools of melted milk chocolate. Her honey brown hair is let loose and flows gently at the slight breeze coming in from the big brass doors. We're just talking normally and walking around enjoying each other's company. I feel this rumble and then half the ceiling in front of us collapses. Everyone starts screaming and running. I grasp Courtney's hand and tug her away. Fire starts up everywhere and smoke is billowing from all directions. Everyone is still screaming and running. I can hear Courtney whimpering and we keep running. Soon clanking of metal and roars of beasts are echoed throughout what's left of the warehouse. I hear a gasp behind me and feel Courtney lean against me and a sticky substance coating my fingers. I turn around and see Courtney with a wound in her stomach. Her blood is everywhere. I start screaming at her, but she just falls over and her eyes glaze over. Tears track my face as I lean over her.

"Go." Her soft blue lips tell me. Her urgent voice commanding to go.

I sob harder and clutch her tighter, "I don't want to leave you. Please don't do this to me. I love you."

"You have to save yourself. Go live on and don't let me stop you. Go get your friends and get as far away from here as possible." She tells me, each word getting fainter and fainter, "I love you too. Know please........Go!"

I sob harder and give her one last tight hug and kiss her cold quivering lips and I start running away. With one last glance back, a lone tear breaks free and flows down my cheek. I hear more rumbling and focus, I run harder and make it outside.

The rest of the ceiling collapses, "COURTNEY!" I take a step back and fall to the ground, "Courtney." I whisper again, fainter. She's gone. I scream and thrash on the ground tears flow freely down my face as I picture Courtney's lifeless form.

"NO!" I scream.

____________________________________________________________

I wake up with a start and scan the area around me. Everything comes back to me. It was only a dream. A memory. The worst day of my life.