Chapter 5

Ashley

"So classes don't start until tomorrow, and one of the seniors on the football team is throwing a party tonight. You should come!"

"Tom, you know I hate parties. Plus, it's Sunday, and like you said already, classes start tomorrow."

"Just come for a bit! You don't have to stay the whole time!"

"I'm serious! I don't really want to go! What if..." I paused, "He's there? He's a sophomore here, and isn't everyone invited?"

Tom looked at me with concern, fully understanding who "he" is. "Don't worry, he's not even here yet."

"How would you know?"

"He's my buddy Jim's roommate this semester. Jim just has the half-empty room to himself for an extra day. I promise you though, if "he" shows up, he won't be staying for long."

"I sure hope you're right Tom," I mumbled. I hadn't realized tears were slipping down my cheeks until Tom pointed it out.

"Ash? Everything okay?"

I shook my head, "I just find it odd, that even though our relationship ended over a year ago, he still has control over me and my life."

"It's okay. Remember the coping mechanism you and Dr. Milton decided on?" I nodded, thinking back to all of my previous sessions with our family therapist. "Good. Think about what you and she discussed, he doesn't have control over you anymore, you're in charge of yourself."

"Yeah, I know."

"Good. Now go home, get changed into something jaw-dropping, and show up to your first college party!"

"Yay." I rolled my eyes in sarcasm, already dreading the idea of going to a crowded house with cheap booze and creepy guys trying to get in my pants.

"You should invite Sienna, she seems like the party type."

"Sure, then at least I'll have a drinking buddy who isn't my game-obsessed older brother."

"Hey. I'm a fun-drunk, and you love my drinking games.

I stayed until Tom had to physically remove me from the apartment, saying how I needed to go back to my dorm and take hours getting ready with my new roommate. My phone buzzed as I walked into the building, the notification was from Sienna texting me. Since when did I give her my phone number?

When I walked in the door, the last thing I expected to see was Sienna sitting on her bed, already dressed in a bright red flannel shirt, short denim shorts, a Guns 'n' Roses crop top, and her black combat boots. Her shoulder length blonde hair was pulled back into double french braids, and a sharp wing was painted over her bright green eyes. In all honesty, I thought she looked wickedly attractive, but I would never admit it to anyone else.

"Ashley, hey! I just texted you about this party that's happening tonight, Jake told me about it, you want to go? Besides the two of you, I don't know anyone else, and I probably shouldn't be drinking by myself in a strange place with horny college boys."

"I, uh, actually was going to ask the same thing. My brother insisted that I go and he mentioned going with you, so I wouldn't be by myself. I take it you're already ready to go?"

"I'm always ready to go drink my face off. I'll help you decide on something to wear."

"Oh, I was just thinking of wearing this." I gestured to my plain outfit consisting of black leggings paired with a Foreigner T-shirt, and my pink Converse.

"Not on my watch you're not. Come on, let's see what else you've got hiding in that closet of yours."

"Sorry to be a downer, but this is pretty much my entire wardrobe."