the rollercoaster

7.11.2017

"Look at my hair!" The harmony of someone laughing make me turn my head to peer at the hair pointing in different directions. A laugh escapes me.

"That was fun!!! Oh my god!!" I turn to my other side and nod eagerly still not able to stop smiling. We get down from the ride and hop down the stairs by the side.

"That loop was ridiculous mannn" I laugh at the comment one of us made.

"Let's go again!!" I propose. Everyone stares at each other. One of us stars being extremely skeptical about being late to the 'tea' which our school was graciously providing in the main area.

"I will make you guys a deal, whoever reaches to the start of the ride first gets the.... corner seats." Our eyes shimmer with excitement as you sprint off in the distance.

I run right behind you leaving the sceptic and the girl with the ponytail behind.

"Slow down!!" The girl screams from a distance long behind me trying to catch up. We sprint with the speed of the wind on the pathway in the theme park earning glares from everyone around. Laughing the whole time like some teenagers drunk on impulsiveness.

I reach the entry place right after you with the sceptic and our friend right behind.

"I guess we get the corner seats" I smirk and sit to the right. Everyone climbs in. Lucky for us the ride had 4 seats in a row, we get the first row much to our surprise.

"Are you guys ready!?" The instructor exclaims in an extremely fake enthusiastic voice. We hoot regardlessly.

The ride stars ascending. We chant our curses and share our screams. It stops at the top and then accelerates down into three consecutive loops.

I don't close my eyes this time and watch the world turn upside down (literally). A smile wide on my face and familiar laughter around me, I suddenly feel safe among one of the scariest of places.

In that mirth and intensity around me I feel strangely peaceful. We descend the stairs again, this time not talking about the loops on the ride or the cool hairstyles but just grinning at our hearts racing and the butterflies fluttering in our bellies. We don't walk beside each other but yet it feels like we are walking together.

I tried memorizing everyone's face, I tried memorizing all of our experiences and everything that I was feeling in that moment but then I guess I failed. Because all I recall now, typing this up is the feeling of being really happy and I think that 'being happy' sort of unjustified everything I was trying to commemorate.