If Kazuya would be asked how many times he had fallen inlove...

*****

Questions about love had always been something that cornered him. A zone he'd had a hard time squeezing his way out of. Because the thing is, Kazuya grew up getting used to the embrace of lonely blankets, or the echo of his own greetings in a place he'd already forgotten to call 'home'. And then, without noticing it, he'd also already forgotten what warmth feels like or how to meet people halfway when they're actually trying to color Kazuya's life with rainbows and draw hearts on his skin.

So when Kazuya felt a twinge of heat graze just the surface of his chest, it tingles through that made him flinch and bolt away to protect himself, and stock up more bricks around his fortress.

"It's none of your business," had always been a line Kazuya threw so easily that seemed to successfully drive people farther away from him, which he didn't mind. It was easier that way-- feelings, emotions, sympathy, everything unnecessary and not baseball out of his way.

"When people care, Miyuki Kazuya," Kazuya felt a grip on his fore arm and he'd been whipped around. Kazuya met a fiery golden irises, set onto his. "it becomes their business."

The line Kazuya throws around when people start getting too nosy for their own good had always worked in making them back off. But unfortunately, Sawamura Eijun's a different case.

Kazuya had seen many smiles, but all that never really matter. He'd always believed a smile to be something fabricated--- molded to conform. Because those kind of smiles were what Kazuya's lips quirk for-- behind close doors, alone in a table for six, just to make himself believe. Or infront of the teachers, his coaches, on the field, to make others believe. It had always been a performance to execute properly to accomplish a job.

"Don't do that," a line Kazuya had been told many many times. Because apparently, when he does it, it always seem like he's up to something. And that's most of the time, true. "Don't smile just because you feel like you need to, do it when you feel THE need to."

And Kazuya thought he'd seen the sun up close. Half a meter from him, too bright but he doesn't squint, he stared. He doesn't know what to make of the continuous flipping of his insides, or the rabid beating of his heart.

Apparently Sawamura Eijun smiles like he's never been hurt.

For the first time in almost forever, Kazuya smiled because he had no idea what else he wanted to do more.

"There you got it Miyuki-senpai." Warm, Kazuya thought.

Kazuya had never been interested about what other people speak of him. Even though, he firmly believes that at the end of the day, you're always what people make of you. The thing is, he doesn't care, he never cared.

And If Kazuya doesn't care about what people has say about him, then he sure as hell doesn't care what anyone else has to say about anyone.

"Aika! How'd it go? with Keiko-chan's confession." Shizuko, the girl beside Kazuya called as another girl in a pony tail that he didn't recognize entered their room.

Kazuya's about to tune them out, and go back to reading the scorebook against their practice match the day before. But the sound of the familiar name stole his full attention.