Chapter 5

Sheila's POV

..so like any remarkable story, it all begun with alcohol....12 shots of cardinal dry gin...

My first night in Elmina was spent at a party, in a horrible night club full of devil worshippers. I spent the night under a white round table with the hairy and coarse chest of a stranger standing in for my beautiful fluffy pillow. I didn't know I was going to see or drink so much alcohol at the party Elorm was taking me to. He told me I was going to meet coworkers, and I felt it would be something professional..no alcohol, just a couple of juices and some music..Who was I even fooling, kids in Ghana always say a party without alcohol is just a meeting..and there I was hoping there'd be no alcohol and everything would just be professional.

My satin dress was a bit too tight and too blue. I was looking like some kind of ridiculous call girl with my front hair practically covering my entire forehead. I felt suffocated when I first entered the club. So much noise and disco lights.

Elorm waved at a couple of guys across the bar and turned to look at me. All three of them were good looking. They were sitting directly under the huge inscription DNA on the wall. Each one under each alphabet. They looked professional in their store shirts and neat haircuts, but the alcohol was just too much...I noticed the guy sitting directly under the N was staring at a girl clad in handkerchief with lust in his eyes.
I scoffed distastefully.

"Are you okay?" He asked me as he was eyeing the group of half naked girls with cheap and brightly coloured hair extensions. I wasn't too sure he was talking to me, so I said nothing.

"Don't be intimidated by the peeps you see here at DNA..its crowded all the time. Always the stressed out government workers..they get wasted too easily and scream their stress away admist vigorous dancing. They all know that DNA is the only place to be on a wonderful Friday night. Be ready to see a spectacular show, I promise".

"Elorm, I think I need to go to the washroom now", I said calmly.

"Okay, turn left and walk through that corridor.. and be sure to call me E.L when you return".

My legs were moving already, not knowing what to say to him. I think following him here was a bad idea. I had never been a fan of alcohol. But there were tons and tons of them at the party with high school lads and a bunch of confused teenagers filling their red cups like they were the cups of salvation.

I wanted to stay somewhere serene. Far from the noise and the lights and those rascals dancing their lives away. I didn't want to come out of the washroom. The place was darker and cooler. The strawberry scented air freshner was too good. If the floors were a bit cleaner, I would have slept there peacefully.

I stood by the sink playing with the water for close to three minutes. Then I heard the door of the next cubicle bang. My privacy was ruined. Maybe I should fake headache and return home. Elorm might think of me as an antisocial person but DNA is not the place for me...all these rascals and alcohol..please..I might as well exit without Elorm's knowledge...oops..I don't even know my way back home.

Then I heard a soft moan from the cubicle. It was a girl's voice. I thought she was having problems emptying her bowels and I was ready to help her. But it was becoming louder admist sighs. I grew curious. One person cannot moan and sigh at the same time..obviously two people were strapping each other. I knew I had to leave that place at once but my curiosity wouldn't let me go. There! down the door, I saw a pair of heels and a pair of sneakers. Four legs in one female washroom cubicle. Bam! These people have no shame. They didn't even lock the door properly. I peeked through the thin line they left between the door and the wall and there he was, one of the three guys Elorm waved when we first entered the club. The one under who sat directly under the N in the middle of the DNA inscription on the wall. He was kissing a naked teenager with all his might. I was so angry. Such an idiot!