4

Bette stared at the woman before her. Good God, she had never seen the woman in such a disheveled state before. Her hair was down, pieces of it stuck to her face from the drizzle that seemed to plague the night. The worry lines that were once gracefully etched onto her face were deep and hollow. She was in her night clothes, the cardigan that she wore was too bright and too young for a woman of her stature. Perhaps the most shocking thing was her choice of footwear, two completely separate slippers finished off the ensemble. 

"Where is she, Bette?" Joan asked again, this time she stepped inside.

Silently she pointed up.

Joan rushed past her and up the stairs. It wasn't hard to figure out what room Linda was in considering there was only room that had a light. She marched over to the door and reached for the knob, stopping only to take a deep breath before she entered.

She almost broke down then and there as soon as she laid eyes on Linda. There she was, across the room, changing the record that had previously had been playing. In her hand was the record for Autumn Leaves she had gifted her one birthday. Joan smiled as a tear ran down her cheek. She took a step forward, a floorboard creaked catching Linda's attention, but not enough to make her turn around.

"You know, Bette, I've always loved this album. Mostly because of Joan's film, she as absolutely stunning in that movie. She still is absolutely stunning."

Joan gasped at the unexpected confession causing Linda to turn around.

"Bette? Are you..." The younger woman's voice trailed off.

"Joan."

"Yes."

"You're here."

"Yes." Joan rushed forward,"I'm here, darling. I'm here."

Linda stumbled back until the backs of her calves connected with a well worn arm chair.

"Linda?"

The young woman sat down, eyes still locked onto the woman before here.

"Linda?" Joan knelt down in front of her,"Darling, please say something. Anything."

"You're here." Linda said again,"You're really here."

"I am. I really am."

Linda ran a hand through Joan's long hair.

"You came for me." Linda whispered.

"Of course I did."

"You went looking for me. You came to make sure I was alright."

"I had to make sure you were alright."

"I wasn't sure that you would." Linda admitted softly.

Joan went wide eyed.

"Why on Earth would you think that?"

Linda stayed silent.

"Why would you think that I wouldn't come for you?" Joan asked again.

"Because, I thought..." Linda paused.

"What?" Joan pleaded,"Because what?"

"This is going to sound ridiculous."

"I'm sure it won't."

Linda sighed and looked down at her.

"I thought , after everything that was said, that maybe you wouldn't miss me if I was gone."

A quiet sob escaped Joan's throat as she listened.

"And then I thought, well, maybe this isn't a bad thing after all. My lack of presence wouldn't raise any questions. You'd be safe."