two

Monday July 17th:

North Carolina

"Jess get up," Ashton's overly perky voice tickled my ears.

"Go away you shit," I said as his fingers began to dig lightly into my sides. His lanky legs were rested on either side of me, his body just hovering above my own.

"That is no way to talk to your best friend Miss Rayne!" he said. I snapped my eyes open and pouted lightly at him, causing a small laugh to emit from his lips.

"Get off me Ashton, I am currently at grumpy level 10 and I don't think you want to see 11," I grumbled as he pushed his body weight off me.

"Okay well once you're done being a grouch you can come join me in the car so we can go to our next surprise," he said wiggling his eyebrows before darting off towards the car. I groaned loudly as I stretched my arms above my head. Memories of last night flooded into my mind as I looked over at the ashes that were still buried in the sand. I turned my head to stare out at the beautiful ocean in front of me, the waves lightly crashing upon the golden sand. A warm sun was beginning to shine upon my skin, hopefully giving it the tan that I desperately needed. A car horn beeped loudly twice and I turned around to see Ashton sitting in the car an unimpressed look covering his features.

"I'm coming! I'm coming calm down!" I yelled, scrambling to pick up my loose items that were scattered across the sand. As quickly as I could I threw my few things in the backseat of the car before hopping in on the passenger side next to Ashton.

"Finally!" he sighed, turning on the car.

"Shut up," I growled jokingly, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Sorry Mrs. Grumpy Level 10 I didn't want to disturb your peaceful ocean morning but, we have to get a move on," he said a small smirk playing on his lips.

"You're stupid. Just drive," I said, a smile appearing on my lips as well.

"Okay, whatever you say," he said, reversing the car out of the parking lot. I stared out the window at the beach that Ashton and I had spent our night on. It was truly beautiful to say the least, with the sun now just above the horizon, causing the sand to twinkle like diamonds and the ocean to look like liquid glass. Ashton pressed the accelerator down further and increased our speed as I rolled down the window, letting the warm winds whip through my hair.

"So, what is today's surprise?" I asked, leaning back in the hot leather seat I was currently confined to.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise," Ashton said matter-of-factly.

"Okay, how about a hint then?" I persisted, tapping my fingers lightly on the console between us, batting my eyelashes lightly at him. He glanced down at me and shook his head, letting out a breathy laugh.

"You always have been stubborn Jess," he said and I shrugged giving him a smile.

"Come on Ash," I said, giving him one of my famous pouty faces.

"Fine Jessie, I'll give you a hint. We're going to a new State, and we'll be there in probably about 10 hours. It's a big city... um I don't know much about it really, but yeah it's pretty big. Now guess," he said, before ruffling his hand through his sandy curls, trying to fix the mop that was currently atop his head.

"Um... I don't know Ashton! Can you be more specific about the city? There are a lot of big cities you know," I said.

"Peaches," he said simply, "that's your last hint and if you don't get it I am literally going to-"