Chapter 2

Dan slept most of the break, only leaving his dorm to get food because everyone was gone. He found himself constantly checking his phone, hoping for a call from Pj that would clear up something about the mysterious boy. He wondered about Phil all the time. How old was he? What did he like to do? What was he majoring in? Random questions circled his head almost all day, which were most annoying when Dan was trying to complete coursework or do anything productive. He was almost relieved when break was over and his friends started coming back from their holidays. Pj, his roommate, showed up that afternoon and Dan immediately jumped to the subject of Phil.

            “Did you find out anything about him?” Dan asked while Pj unpacked his stuff.

            Pj laughed. “No ‘hello, how was your break’? I found out some stuff from Chris, he has a class with him, and some convenient connections.”

            Dan’s heart leapt, and he attempted to conceal his excitement. “Go on.”

            Pj smirked. “His name is Phil Lester. He’s 21, majoring in film. He’s bi, and this year he’s dated Emma Blackery, this crazy girl who constantly dyes her hair, and Luke Cutforth, this really bizarre ginger guy who dropped out last month. That’s about all I learned. Why were you so curious again?”

            Dan blinked to clear the glazed over look he probably had in his eyes. “I told you, he looks familiar and I’m trying to figure out how I know him.”

            Pj seemed unconvinced but accepted his explanation. “Alright. Well, I’m going to get some food, wanna join me?”

            Dan nodded and reached towards his shoes. “Might as well.” He said nonchalantly, really only accepting because there was a possibility of running into Phil.

************

            They arrived in the dining hall ten minutes later and took a table. Dan scanned the large room for any sign of Phil but was denied the sight. After a few minutes, Pj found some people he knew and went over to talk to them, leaving Dan alone at the table. He pulled out his phone so he wouldn’t feel like as much of a loser, and began playing flappy bird. He was so engrossed in his game he didn’t notice the boy sit down in the empty seat across from him.

            Dan heard a noise and finally looked up. When he came face to face with Phil Lester, he nearly jumped out of his skin. Phil’s icy blue eyes stared at him from across the small table. Dan was the first one to look away.

            “Erm, what are you doing?” Dan questioned

            Phil just smiled at first, and then spoke. “You’re the guy from the bar the other night, right?”

            Dan was surprised he remembered him. “Yeah, that was me. So, do you want to eat anything?”

            God, Howell, why did you say that he’s going to think you asked him out on a motherfricking date dammit damnit

            To Dan’s relief, Phil didn’t appear to have gotten anything out of that particular sentence. “I already ate loads, thanks. But maybe we could eat later, maybe tomorrow at seven?”

            Dan was shocked into silence. He couldn’t decide whether this was a wonderful thing or a horrible thing. 

            Dan felt his old habit returning. “I-I-I d-d-don’t know what you m-m-mean.” He managed to choke out

            Phil was still grinning. “I’m asking you to dinner you twat. Is that a yes or a no?”

            Dan was taken aback by his forwardness. “Erm, I guess so, but…”

            Phil cut him off and slid him a piece of paper he had pulled from his jean pocket. “Great, here’s my phone number. See you then.”

A/N- Hey guys, thanks so much for reading. It would mean a lot to me if you left a comment on any suggestions, parts you like, don't like, or just to say hi. Follow my instagram too: @we_are_danosaurs  Thanks! <3