VIII

"Why can't you go back to the old you, Asher?"

"Because my life took a turn for the worse, but I am what I am now for you! I did it only for you!, I am the only one who can protect you, Lia,"
"Protect me from what?" I asked.

His fingers laid on my cheeks, and he fell silent, gazing into my eyes.

"From -"

"Miss Summers " I jumped up and looked ahead to see the professor looking at me catching me off guard. 

Sure enough, I was dazing off in my thoughts. Embarrassed, my eyes blinked and stared at hers-Yes?" 
"I suggest you pay attention in my class," My head dips down further drowning me in my embarrassed state. My surroundings would turn opaque, faster than I could tell, the more I thought about him the more my heart felt heavy.

"How does Asher know you?" Lucy asked as we stepped out the gates of our university grounds, 

I heard her, but I couldn't quite answer her, instead, all I did was stare with a quizzical brow and reply with another question, "What?" 

"Asher King, how do you know him?" She asked again, this time pressing on his name. 

"Why do you ask?" 

"I am curious, that's all" 

I didn't find a reason to lie to her, so I answered, "We were friends back in school." 

A curt answer took her aback. I never gave such harsh answers but I suppose she could tell by my expression. She stopped walking and blinked at me. 

"What?"

"You were friends with Asher? Asher King?" 

At this point I was quite annoyed, why was she pressing on it so much? Raising my brow in confusion and showing her my frown so she knew I was now pissed off at her questions. Only a little though.

"Why do you seem so surprised? Is there a reason that sounds weird?" 

She shook her head giving me a tight-lipped smile. 

"We know who he was, where he came from, what Family he came from. It's difficult to comprehend you were friends I mean, that boy barely looked at anyone." 

Ah..So it was like that.

I keep on walking with her by my side. 

"Why do you make it sound so impossible, I mean, not everyone knows everything-" I halt my words in a worry of offending her. It would've sounded a bit harsh if I saw it from a stranger's perspective. 

She turns to me, "I want I mean is, He is from the King's family, his father has built an empire back when our parents were young, he was brought up here, home-schooled. How could you be friends if he never went to school?" 

For a minute I stopped thinking, maybe she was talking about someone different. Perhaps they had more siblings. Maybe I was mistaken. 

"Maybe we don't who we are talking about," I suggested. 

"Oh no, there is only one Asher King here. And there is no way I wouldn't know if he had siblings" 

"How are you so confident?" I asked utterly confused.

"Well, Hunter?, they are like close, close friends so I heard from him," she explained.

"So you mean Asher King never left this town and never went to school and never existed outside of this story?" 

She nodded.  My palms went sweaty as I started overthinking. 

If Asher King never went to my school then was the boy I was talking to?
If I never met him then why was he acting like he knows me? I was pretty sure he was the same kid I knew. Maybe they didn't know him?

I smiled hiding my anxious frown and said a quick bye to Lucy before leaving. On the way back, my head kept swimming around the whole story pool. I was feeling stupid to even mention I knew him because she could very well be true. 

My eyes stared at the lock on my apartment door, unlocked and ajar, My heart picks a pace up as I slowly touched the lock but saw no signs of it broken. Kicking the door open completely, he greeted me, lounging on my couch, like he didn't just break in like a thief. 

I felt my thoughts stand still while I take my step back in fear. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I have the key to your apartment Lia," he states nonchalantly. 

But my expression said fear and he saw that, standing up with a worried look over his eyes and taking one step towards me. 

"Why do you look so scared?"

"Lucy told me something I can't find a conclusion on." 

His brows pulled together in a questioning look. 

"She said you never went to school, that you were home schooled and that you never befriended anyone."

"Lia," I cut him off. "Ya explain that. People here tell me you never existed in a school, She knows who you are then who am I talking to?" 

"I have an explanation." He took another step. 

"I know you do, but I am not feeling any safer with you right now. So, Leave. For now. Please." 

"Don't fucken say that-"

"I am just being honest, I don't feel like talking! I need to rest. So leave Asher!" 

Before I could comprehend he was standing right before me, his eyes scared me as he held my arms stopping me from getting away. 

I felt my stomach clench and pain shot up from my lower torso up to my stomach. I shove his hands off me to hold my stomach as I feel something between my legs. 

Oh great, out of all the times. 

"What, what happen-" 

"Nothing, just leave me alone-" 

"Lia I swear to god I will tie you up if you keep pushing me like that-"

The pain just kept getting worse as I ignored him finally and walked straight to my bedroom.

"No, stop!" his voice booms through my place like that would stop me. 

He stood before the door right as I was about to shut it. 

"Are you in pain? Tell me what's wrong!" His voice reminded me of the old him. 

"Just go-" 

"I am not leaving till you let me explain." 

Having no energy to deal with this I walked straight to my closet and took the box of tampons out, giving him a side eye before walking in the bathroom and shutting the door. His eyes said it all as he looked away and walked out, I heard him shut the door behind him. 

Somewhere in my mind, I knew he was the man I once knew and adored. I mean, there was no mistake with his face. I just didn't know if I could trust him now.

~A/N~

Sorry for the random updates, but I will be uploading the edited chapters slowly before continuing the next Series of this book.