Chapter Twelve

The next day, Raggedpelt ventured out into the forest. He needed some time by himself, maybe to hunt, just to be away from ShadowClan.  Suddenly, as he dived for a blackbird, he smelled something in the air. Before he could make it out, a badger leaped out from the bushes. Raggedpelt barely managed the dodge the badger by barreling over. He stared straight into the badger's cold eyes.

"Get back or I'll slit your throat!" He threatened. He knew badgers couldn't understand what he had said, but maybe his loud voice frightened it. Suddenly, the badger pounced forward, and sliced at Raggedpelt's sides. He was too stunned and agonized to scream. He flew backwards and thumped on the ground. He could barely breathe.

Am I going to die? Raggedpelt whimpered. The badger was coming forward, baring its claws again. Raggedpelt closed his eyes, ready for his death and his beginning to join StarClan. But suddenly, he heard the yowl of a cat, attacking the badger. It was Yellowfang. Raggedpelt trembled as he stood up, his limbs aching. While Yellowfang was distracting the badger, Raggedpelt weakly limped away, wheezing as he moved.

Why hasn't StarClan taken me yet? He wondered.

It's not your time. He heard a voice in his head, that of a StarClan cat, You need to be strong and live. You will have kits one day. Raggedpelt panted, and the spirit seemed to disappear as Yellowfang caught up to him, with deep scratches on herself as well.

"What were you thinking?!" Raggedpelt found himself growling, "You're a mouse-brain!" Suddenly, he sighed, his anger washing away as he noticed the blood trickling from Yellowfang.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, bending his head, "Those wounds look bad."

"Yours are worse," Yellowfang licked a puddle of his blood, which immediately made Raggedpelt embarrassed by their close proximity.

He only felt pain as Yellowfang helped him back to Sagewhisker's medicine cat den. After receiving a lot of treatment and visits, Raggedpelt relaxed in the medicine cat den. A few days passed, and he was relieved to see Yellowfang visit him.

"Thank you for saving my life," he breathed heavily, "never do anything like that again."

"Ok," Yellowfang sighed, and bent down to sit next to him, "I just...I hope we can be friends again." Raggedpelt liked the idea. His warmth spread for Yellowfang once again.

 His warmth spread for Yellowfang once again

(Raggedpelt snarling at the badger)