CHAPTER 1

Yes! Yes, yes, yessy, yes, yes! I actually did it, I passed the Hunter exam. First time too. I still can't believe it, so I get up and take my bag, where my licence is, out of the overhead locker. I sit back down and take the licence out. It's a small thing, no bigger than a credit card. It's made from some sort of hard but flexible plastic. With my scatterbrain, I'll probably misplace it at least once before I get back home to Gon and Aunt Mito. Aunt Mito isn't my real aunt, she adopted me three years ago, when I was eleven. According to Gon, he was then playing the game "Greed Island" and his friend, Killua, had just passed the Hunter exam after his second try. But I'll never think of Aunt Mito as my mum. If I do then I'm afraid I'll forget my real mum, who died when I was 6. Hmph! More like massacred. I was lucky to live through that day. 

FLASHBACK----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Haru! Go pick some blackberries for dinner, please!" What? Why do I have to be the one to get food, Kurapika could easily do it!                                                                                                                                     

"Why mum? Why can't you ask Kurapika to do it?"

"Kurapika's not in the village anymore sweetie. They left last week, remember?" Oh. Right. My older sibling by five whole years, Kurapika, left to find a cure for our friend Pairo. Pairo's eyes and legs don't work very well anymore, I don't know why. 

"Okay, fine. How much should I get?" 

"Just half a basket, dear."

A few minutes later and I'm in the forest next to a blackberry bush. After getting loads from a few different bushes, I decide to head back. Heading along the path I suddenly hear my mum crying out, telling me to run and that a group of bad people are after our eyes. I freeze. I know our eyes can take in a high price on the black market, but I never thought that there would actually be a attack. I can hear the screams of the rest of the Kurta clan and the maniacal laughter of several people. These people must be the killers. A swarm of emotions attack me: anger, fear, disgust at what the killers are doing. And fear. Above everything else, I feel fear. My vision starts to turn red and I know that my eyes are scarlet.

I dash as fast as I possibly can to the Evac Point. The Evac Point is basically where we go if there is an attack or a natural disaster and we are removed from it. I wait there for two days occasionally going to the nearby well the nearby well to get water. I eat the blackberries I picked for dinner. I eat some of the supplies kept at the Evac Point. If two days have passed after an attack or a disaster, then we were told to assume that everyone was dead. We were told not to go back to the village because it might not be safe.

As the sun sets on the second day, the reality sets in. I am now one of only two surviving members of the Kurta clan, with Kurapika being the only other. For the first time since the attack, I make a sound. It's a harsh guttural scream that I make while tears cascade down my cheeks. I was able to hold them back while holding onto hope. But that hope is now gone.

END OF FLASHBACK-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was eight years ago. I guess I should be glad that I went along to Kurapika's English lessons that they were taking so they could communicate outside of the village. I found myself in the care system a few months after the attack and then when I was eleven, Aunt Mito adopted me. Since then I've lived on Whale island

"Are you okay?" I look up and see one of the float's staff looking at me worridly. I realise that I'm crying. My eyes are red too. Boy, I'm glad I wear coloured contacts.

"Yeah I'm fine." she gives me that disbelieving look that adults give when they know your lying but can't do anything about it.

Two days and a boat ride later, and I'm back on Whale Island. I take my time hiking up to our house, taking in the sights and smells of Whale Island once again.

"I'm home." I mutter under my breath. Because I am. My home is wherever the people I love. And that's Aunt Mito, Gon (even though he will never tell me or Aunt Mito what he did when he was away apart from what he was doing when I was adopted, and that was an accident), Gran (Mito's gran) and Kurapika. Even though I haven't seen them for eight years, I still love Kurapika, how could I not?

AN: So, the first chapter of my first fanfic. I hope you enjoyed it!