~12~

Phoenix whipped around, only to see Haze standing there. He had nothing in his hands, or at least, not anymore.

As soon as the cat saw MCA, he dropped his sword in disbelief. Phoenix immediately let go of his bow.

"Haze I can explai-"

"Phoe... Phoenix why..."

"But I can explain! I found him lik-"

"Phoenix..."

Haze stared at the ground, unmoving.

"I was with Star, I'm sorry Phoe, but he left to do his own thing. If I was with Star, then..."

Phoenix realized in that moment, his life was on the line. He had to think!

"Was MCA still with you when Star showed up?"

"No..."

"Then it could have been any if us."

"I... You're right..."

Phoenix noticed Haze staring at his sword, about to grab it. However, he stopped himself.

"I... I don't need that..."

"Haze, did you see how many arrows were in Star's quiver?"

"Not very many, only a couple were left. I used up a bunch of mine on vines, maybe she did too? You're not saying it's her, are you?"

Phoenix suddenly wished he had been paying more attention to the arrows in people's quivers. He sighed, turning his back and walking underneath MCA. His sword lay on the floor, kicked away near his headband. Phoe picked up the two, tying the antennae around the hilt.

"We need to go find Star, and plant this."

Then, not waiting for a response, he walked out the door...

~~~

Phoenix closed his eyes, letting go of the sword. It stood speared into the soil, right beside four others. He wasn't sure what to say, and just thinking about it made him want to cry again.

He turned to the first grave, walking towards it and kneeling on the ground. Mini, his first friend to die, sparking the urge to stop the murderer.

He placed a wing on the sword, eyes welling up with tears. So far, he had failed to save five of his friends. He couldn't let anyone else die, he just couldn't! 

There were footsteps behind him, and Phoenix jumped to his feet, only to see Haze behind him once more, this time with his bow and arrows. He sighed, then looked past him for Star.

"Where-"

"I couldn't find her..."

"Wait what?"

"It's got to be her, lying in wait for us to walk past before she strikes! We need to stick together, that way she can't get us... I've been practicing for this..."

Reluctantly, Phoenix agreed. If Star was hiding from them, they'd be able to catch her easily as a pair.

This way, he could keep his last friend alive.

"Maybe you passed by her in grounded. It wouldn't hurt to check again."

"Right. This murderer is busted..."

Phoenix made sure Haze was following him, and set off towards the map. He had left his bow in the airplane, so that's where he was headed first. He made his way through the airport, but was stopped by the broken window.

"This way."

Haze said, gesturing to a tube that led out of the building.

Phoenix turned, heading towards it. He walked down the dark tunnel, finding a set of stairs. It was as he was walking down, that he saw something he hadn't noticed before.

On the side of the tree, a branch was missing, the base crudely sawed off and splintered, leaving behind a pointy nub. He looked down and around it, before spotting it.

A brown feather.

Star had to be here somewhere, but where? He looked up at Haze, who had seen the feather too, and now had an arrow locked into his bow. Phoe took this as a sign that he was ready.

Racing down the stairs, Phoenix prepared himself for a weapon, or something while he turned the corner. Instead, what he saw made him freeze.

~~~

My internet is back! Which means I finally got to post this! I hope you enjoyed this short little chapter!

~Alice