5

Hans returned to the playground the following day. He felt attracted to it, knowing that David and Abraham were alone there. Mengele was nowhere to be seen when Hans arrived. The children still roared with laughter.

“Where is Uncle Mengele?” A small girl asked as Hans crossed into the playground.

“Um, I’m not sure.” Hans replied. “Do you know where David and Abraham are?”

She cocked her head to the side. “They’re inside.” She answered after a moment. “They’re weird.”

Hans smiled slightly at the small girl. She had dark skin and dark hair, but her eyes were a soft green. She a gypsy child, no doubt. “Why are they weird?”

She smiled. “Because they are.” Then she bounded away to the rusting play set.

Hans nodded to himself and turned towards the building where the children slept. Slowly he walked in, unsure of what he might see.

Beds lined the walls, and all were well kept. The linens were freshly pressed and laid gently across the only mattresses in Auschwitz.

David and Abraham sat in the back corner on the same bed, a candle lit on the nightstand beside them for light.

Their conversation ceased the moment Hans stepped in. They watched him as he removed his hat and walked toward them.

“Morning, boys.”

They were silent. Abraham’s eyes slowly drifted from Hans to David, then back to Hans.

“Good morning, Sir.”

Hans smiled warmly. “What are you boys doing?”

They eyes filled with fear. “Nothing, Sir.” Davis whispered.

Hans looked from David to Abraham. “Well, why not?”

They looked confused. “Sir?”

“Why not do something? It’s a beautiful day outside. I am sure the other children would like to see you boys out and about.”

“It’s best for us not to get to know those children.” Abraham replied without thinking.

David’s eyes were still wide, but now they sat on his brother.

Hans turned to Abraham. “Why is that?”

Abraham swallowed harshly, his hands slowly balling into fists on his lap. “Well, we know that once you step into his office, you don’t step out. We’ve never seen anyone come back out of that room with Mengele.”

“Except for you.” Davis whispered, his gaze lowering.

Hans was quiet. These boys were too old to be fooled into believing that Mengele was the good guy, and in their mind, Hans wasn’t a good guy either.

“That’s true.” Hans whispered. “I have been in the room.”

“What does he do to them?” Abraham looked intrigued.

Hans stared silently. He considered telling the boys the truth, but how could he? How could he tell them and expect them to believe they too would not be subjected to such a fate?

“He just experiments.” Hans camouflaged.

“Do people die?” David asked in a whisper.

Hans stared silently at him.

“Of course they do.” Abraham sighed.

“What makes you say that?” Hans shifted his gaze.

“We’ve seen the blood. Annabelle was close to us-.” David stopped, his eyes beginning to water.