10

“They’ve been her for several hours,” Lea whispered, staring out the window. “All they’ve done is sit there. Are you sure Josef sent the right guards?”

Hans refilled his glass of Jägermeister. “Lea, get away from the windows.”

Lea looked nervously back at him and let the curtain close behind her. “Is everything alright?”

Hans stared at his glass. “I think you should take the children and go to your mother’s.”

“My mother doesn’t exactly live near here.” Lea sat beside Hans and put the cap back on the bottle of liquor.

“I know.”

“Why do you want us to go?”

Viktor’s missing temple flashed in Hans’ mind. “I can’t tell you, it’s just not safe here anymore.”

“Why, because of the Red Army? Josef sent us guards-.”

“Guards who aren’t doing anything.”

“Probably because there’s nothing to be done.” She stood and kissed him. “It’s late, you should get some sleep.”

Hans nodded and finished off his glass and followed his wife to bed. He didn’t sleep. He saw his best friends eyes drifting away over and over in his mind. He saw Tobias in his mind. The poor boy never knowing what happened to his father. He saw Rolf, the poor infant, who will never know the wrongs his father has done. He saw David and Abraham, suffering, but prepared to reunite with their mother.

Hans saw himself. He saw a Reichsleiter too terrified to turn his back. He saw a soldier killing civilians. He saw a boy. A child buried deep in Hans’ chest had shown his true nature. He was timid. He was weak. Hans was not made for the horrors of Auschwitz. If only he had realized it sooner.

He couldn’t breathe. He had placed his family in the hands of peril, and there was nothing he could do.