VI

When Evelynn walked out of her apartment the next day, what she didn't expect to see was a cat. What she really didn't expect to see was Michael trying to catch that cat. However, as soon as she stepped out of her door she stumbled upon the sight, and in response just stood there, blinking at the boy until he picked up the feline and finally noticed her presence.
"Evelynn!" Michael expressed in surprise, his lips twitching into a smile. Evelynn didn't know what to say back. Should she greet him as if this was normal? Should she laugh? Something about seeing him in front of her apartment was unsettling and she felt an odd sense of embarrassment, as if he had witnessed something very personal. What eventually came out of her mouth sounded slightly hostile, her question of what he was doing here coming out a little too quick and harsh.
Evelynn watched as he opened the door to the apartment next to hers, her heart dropping as she realized he was the one making all the noise yesterday. He was the one moving in. He set the chubby cat inside and closed the door, his cheeks flush. "My mom got evicted from her last apartment so I'm moving in with her to help her pay rent and all. You, uh, live here, I see." Evelynn nodded and shifted uncomfortably. Evelynn wondered why this was so awkward. They were friends weren't they? Then again, friendships get uncomfortable until they're comfortable, don't they?
Evelynn looked Michael over, her eyes lingering on his socks. They had a variety of zoo animals on them, their bright blue background sticking out against his grey sweatpants and black t-shirt. "Where are you heading to?" He asked her, breaking the buzzing silence. "Huh?" Michael gestured to her, and she looked down, examining her full outfit. "Oh, um. I'm going to the store. To buy you a bundt cake." She nodded. He raised his eyebrows up at her and grinned. "Okay... well, I'll leave you to that then." He moved so that his hand was on the door handle as if he was about to go inside. Evelynn smiled back and stood there for a moment before walking towards the elevator without another word. She tried not to look back at Michael, but right before the doors closed she heard him call after her, "By the way, we prefer brownies!"