X

"So..." Michael started, breaking the silence as Evelynn hung upside down on her bed. "So?" She looked up at him and he grinned, sitting next to her, the shift in the bed nearly causing her to slide off. "You'll never believe what happened." Evelynn rolled her eyes and waited in silence for him to continue but he just stared at her. "What happened, Michael?" She sighed but she couldn't help but grin.
   Michael was beaming, his cheeks tinged a sweet pink. "I'm going on a date tomorrow." At first Evelynn thought he was joking, but when his blush failed to disappear her smile dropped and she sat up. "Oh." "Oh?" Evelynn looked up to see that he his shoulders had dropped and he was staring at her with his brows furrowed. "I just-" She couldn't seem to find the right words and her stomach felt heavy and twisted. "What's she like?" Her question came out like a sigh and she hoped she didn't sound as disappointed as she felt.
  "Well, uh, she's a year younger than me and she's studying law. Her name is Megan and she's a real nice girl. She's got this gorgeous brown hair and her eyes are like, this cute almond shape, but also wide. With Christmas in two days I thought it'd be neat to take her to see the Christmas lights downtown tomorrow evening." Michael seemed to be talking more to himself than to Evelynn but when he glanced over for her response all she could muster was a slow nod. "Yeah, it sounds lovely."