Joey Simmons

"Hello?" I had my phone pinned between my shoulder and ear,

"Uh, hey... this is Lena," her tentative voice floated from the phone speaker.

"Oh, hey! I didn't think you'd actually call...."

"Why not?"

"You seemed very, I don't know, I just didn't get the feeling you liked me...."

"Oh, that's 'cause of Eric and Robert, they don't like me."

"It's not that they don't like you... it's more that they just think-"

"I'm weird, I know."

"No, but they told me about..."

"I know what you're thinking, and no, I did not get laid by my foster brother. He was gay, and I kissed him on the cheek once. Yeah, we held hands and hugged, but we were just really close friends. Honestly, he kind of used me, he pretended we were dating so no one would know he was gay."

"Oh."

"Exactly. 'Oh.' I hate that asshole, and I'd never do that. Damn, people these days, scrambling for all the juicy gossip they can get."

"I'm sorry. I didn't believe it, I wanted to hear it from you first. I believe you."

She didn't answer for a couple beats, until finally she breathed,"Thank you," quietly and hung up.

~~~

“No!” I chucked my book across the room, where it thudded against the wall and plopped on the floor. My favorite character just died. Why does the author have to do this to me?

“What happened?” my mom burst into the room, looking scared as hell.

“Oh, nothing, sorry. I got mad and threw my book at the wall,” I sighed.

“Joey, what are you doing up this late reading?” she asked as she bent over and grabbed the book off the floor for me. She then placed it on my dresser and came and sat next to me on my bed.

“I couldn’t sleep,” I muttered, resting my head on her shoulder.

“You should try, honey, I don’t want you to be tired and grumpy at school.” she kissed my forehead and then left, muttering something like ‘now I have to pee’ when she walked out the door.

I fell back onto my pillow. I couldn’t get her out of my head. What was with this girl?

Hey guys, sorry it's short! I had no idea what would happen next. Blah, I'm having a brain fart, or maybe writer's block... probably the first one. ;P Enjoy.

I think I might start leaving you guys before and after notes, let me know what you think. Would you like that? Or are they jusy plain annoying?