The Story

"There have been over ten thousand reports of children going missing around the world. No one knows who's responsible, but the International Police Force is investigating the scenes of these supposed "Christmas Mystery." If anyone has any information, contact us a-" Static muffled the television after that short message. The popping of the fireplace calmed the very few pounding hearts in the large room. This was not the proper way to start such a holy morning.

No one moved.

No one spoke.

Nothing was touched.

The living room felt empty. A couple of people were missing, which wasn't very good, since they both said they would look for Santa Clause.

A knock on the door broke the silent moment, sending shivers up everyone's spines. The rest of the family had, hopefully, arrived. The young woman in the room got up and opened the door.

"Hey, if it isn't my beautiful niece." The man at the door spoke so insensitively, like nothing happened at all. "Oh, hey Uncle Dre." The woman responded, depressed to see him. She was hoping that she could see her ten year old brother, Derrik, at the door. "Something wrong, Tanya?" Dre asked, being half worried, half entheusiastic. So that's my name. She thought to herself. "Uhh, Merry Christmas?" Tanya looked at her uncle with a nervous smile, her arms wide open. "Merry Christmas, I guess..." Uncle Dre sighed, walking toward the couch as Tanya shut the door.

The clock on the wall ticked unevenly, giving off "syncapated stacattos." The christmas tree had a lot of presents underneath, but nobody reached for one. The atmosphere in the household didn't feel right.

Nobody was happy.

Nobody was angry.

Nothing moved.

Nothing spoke.

The phone rang, breaking the silence. No one answered the phone, and it went to voicemail. "Hello?" A nervous, yet calm male voice answered. "Mrs. Thomas? Uhh, your son came to my house last night, if you were looking for him. He's still here if you want to pick him up, unless you want me to. Also, Merry Christmas." A sigh of relief filled the room. The man hung up. "So that's where he went." Everyone in the house said at once. The fire popped some more, filling the silent room with a decent mood. "Who's opening presents first?" Tanya asked, looking at both her mother, and her uncle. Nobody answered. "Anyone?" Tanya asked again. Again, nobody answered. Tanya got up and walked towards the presents, cautiously. No one stopped her from opening one of the presents. Tanya ripped a small hole in one of her presents, and the atmosphere started to improve. Small conversations sparked, and the television turned back on. The Nightmare Before Christmas was playing on the television, the audio and picture clear as glass. The rest of the guests came over, the presents piled up. Still, Tanya didn't speak. Even the snow, so white, so cold, so.... peaceful, started to fall. Tanya opened the present. Only a box labeled "OPEN ME" was visible before her. The letters written in blood, almost as if a child wrote it before an urgent situation had befallen unto them. Tanya opened the box slowly. The snow looked almost as if it were changing hue. The tape was ever so slowly ripped off, the snow changed green, changed blue, changed teal, changed yellow, orange, purple, RED. The stuff inside were very unsettling. Nothing inside. Nothing but a faint whimper for help. The whole sky was red, the whole room was empty, the wallpaper tore and etched words. "HELP ME." The walls leaked a thick, black tar as the words started to echo in the room. Her body went limp, and her eyes stopped trying to see and comprehend. Her lungs wouldn't move, nor would her heart.

"Tanietta. Tanya, get up, please!" She spoke silence. Her eyes stayed shut. Her body went cold, as did the air in the room. A strong wind blew. Tanya's eyes opened. Her souless, icey eyes. "Merry Christmas, Rebecca!" She laughed, her body blowing away with the wind. A soft whisper filled the ears of the guests in the dead room. "She's mine, now. No one else's. Her new eternity will be with my slaves in the North Pole's Hell."