Day 3/31

We had gone around shopping and doing things. We went touring and we laughed and joked until we could barely feel our stomachs.

"Liam, I wanna go to dinner tonight," I looked at him and he nodded.

"Okay. That seems reasonable, you can choose where we go."

I smiled widely at him. We hadn't been out in a while together. Just the two of us. My cancer got in the way of me being able to go around and do things. The chemo was the hardest part. Having to go to the doctor's office almost every week... it got tough on both Liam and I. He always had a smile though. Always pushed through the hardness.

That was the hardest part about it all. I was in pain, but I could still see the pain in his eyes. It always lingered. Always remained.

My smile at him was brief and weak, "Okay, sounds fun." I walked to my bag and grabbed some new clothes. After putting them on, my eyes looked into the mirror. I was frail and weak. The attempt to try and look healthy was failing terribly.

The corners of my mouth slowly tilted down as I brushed a small strand of hair out of my face. Shaking my head, I turned to the side to see the width of my waist.

"You don't have to be healthy to be beautiful, Vic," the strong voice echoed in my head as it registered. "Cancer doesn't put a label on you... I think you're beautiful... inside and out. Can't that be enough?" His body made its way to mine and I watched as our reflections contrasted each other.

His dark eyes made my ocean eyes stand out. The caramel hair made my golden hair look as if it was glowing. A tall, healthy man standing behind a girl who just wants to know what it's like being healthy again.

As we stared, the silence screamed at us. Our reflections caused us to reflect-almost question. My whole life I've always thought that silence was deafening. Because with noise it drowns the demons; makes you forget. With silence... you're alone with your thoughts. The happy ones are the rare ones when no one decides to make a sound.

My faint voice made the silence shatter, "I wish it was, Liam." Our eyes locked in the reflection.

He was biting his lip, "I wish I could change that." He left the room and I was left again. In silence.

Sighing, I grabbed my purse and walked out, "Liam, I'm sorry. Okay? Let's just go have dinner," my hand caught his bicep, "just like old times."

A small scoff left his lips, "Like old times? Okay... let's try that." The regret in his eyes hit immediately and it was clear and I felt my heart hurt.

My head nodded, "Like old times..." He nodded and hugged me.

He really is kind of a scary dude at first glance, but he's so much more than that. You have to get past the tall frame, broad shoulders, and tattoos to know he really is a sensitive guy. It's one of my favorite things about him. Breaks stereotypes.

At dinner we were at a nice, small restaurant. He told me he went to it when his sister and him went there for his birthday a few years ago.

"So... we don't have a lot of time. I was thinking about where we could go next," he set his fork on the plate, "it's your trip so you choose."

I thought for a minute. Thinking. And thinking. And then some more thinking. "I think I want to cut Peru from my list. I want to go to New York next... and then we can head to Europe."

He nodded, "That sounds like a good plan. We can leave tomorrow for New York."

I smiled widely at him and nodded and continued to eat. After I finished, I looked at him and smiled and paid for myself and stood up.

"C'mon, I've got to show you something..." he grabbed my hand and started running and I followed as best as I could. Our feet could be heard against the pavement.

Once we stopped, a tall building stood in front of us, "What are we-"

"Don't question it," he drug me inside and we got in the elevator. It went to the very top floor and I walked out and looked at the lights.

Just like at the Hollywood sign, it was as if the world stood still. It was nice. Peaceful, even. I felt a hand on the small of my back and my muscles tensed up slightly.

"It's just me, it's okay," Liam said softly.

I felt myself nod and smiled at him, "I just wanted to thank you... for everything... and I mean the trip and I mean being my friend... I mean for everything you've done to make my life amazing... you've done it very well..."

He pulled me closer, "What are friends for?"