Chapter 6

Tamara Ramirez

It's heart-wrenching how swiftly trust can crumble with just a few words. The mere suggestion of betrayal was enough to push me over the edge, transforming love into something closer to hatred.

Alec and Dustyn had always been my steadfast pillars of support. They weren't just brothers or friends; they helped shape who I am. They filled my head with silly mantras and cherished memories, took me out on Sundays, and spent quality time with me. Their presence was a constant in my life, a source of comfort and guidance.

Inside, I still carried the burden of that little girl who had to mature too quickly when Alec and Dustyn left for college. I had to put on a brave face when Dad married Amelia. I had to conceal my anger while watching her remove every trace of my mom from our home, tearing down our family photos one by one. There was no one I could rely on. Even the twins, Apollo and Artemis, couldn't grasp the depth of what I was going through.

When Alec returned, I thought everything would be alright again. My big brother was back, and I believed he would shield me once more. I hoped I could finally live without constantly looking over my shoulder. And for a while, it seemed like that's exactly how things were going to be.

Then, at long last, Dustyn returned too, and I was overjoyed. We were all reunited here in New York.

But life has a way of throwing curveballs.

They both shattered the trust I had in them. Even Alec couldn't look me in the eyes when he came home from his trip on Sunday morning. I chose not to speak to him because I was afraid it would hurt more than Dustyn's lies. The apartment has become a battleground for hide-and-seek between us, and I am not willing to listen to his explanations as of yet.

The twins, Apollo and Artemis, have taken it upon themselves to ensure I always have company so Alec would not dare talk about such private matters. Even Dustyn's attempts at meeting me on campus were complete failures, thanks to Apollo's protective interference.

Things were going just fine with me ignoring Alec until Dad decided that a family dinner would be nice tonight, for a change, he said.

"I don't know how I'm going to survive dinner with Alec and Amelia," I sighed to Artemis, pulling on a pair of washed, ripped jeans and a simple white tee. Dad hadn't mentioned anything about dressing up, so this was my attempt at looking presentable, though my mood had taken a nosedive after a taxing week.

"Amelia can be such a pain. But Alec, he'll always have your back," Artemis reassured me, her voice full of empathy.

"I'm still furious with him," I muttered, adding a touch of blush to my pale cheeks at Artemis's insistence. She claimed it would make me look less like a ghost.

"I know, but try to have some fun, okay?" Artemis said, trying to cheer me up. "Pete's calling. Love you!" With that, she hung up.

I rolled my eyes at her unflagging enthusiasm and set my phone down on the vanity. Pete better have some good news for her, or I'd be stuck with her sulking all day tomorrow.

"Baby girl, are you ready?" Alec's voice interrupted my thoughts, accompanied by persistent knocking on the door. Irritated, I slipped on my black ankle boots and grabbed a clutch for my phone and a few dollars, just in case Amelia decided to stir up trouble.

I swung the door open to find Alec standing there, impeccably dressed in a baby pink polo shirt that complemented his fair complexion, topped with a dark gray sports jacket that accentuated his broad shoulders. His hair was slicked back with precision, adding a touch of sophistication to his appearance. Despite my mixed emotions, I couldn't deny that he looked undeniably good.