Chapter 29

Tamara Ramirez

I can't stop smiling as I make my way to our new apartment, with Emil following closely behind me.

Dustyn took me out to dinner, and we spent nearly four hours enjoying each other's company—talking about everything and nothing. Before we parted, we decided to tackle the wedding gown issue after I complete some of my finals requirements.

I never imagined that loving someone could be this beautiful. It feels blissful, and I'm content—happy, elated. I'm floating on my own cloud nine, and I don't think anything could ruin my mood right now.

As I opened the door to the apartment, I halted in my tracks. Rory was waiting in the living room, facing Alec, who looked frustrated. The tension was palpable; Rory refused to meet my brother's hard stare.

"...Hi?" I said uncertainly, chuckling as both of them turned their heads toward me. "We could come back after you're done." I gestured between them.

It's no secret that I fully approve of Aurora for Alec. With Rory, he seems happier than I've ever seen him. My older brother could use some of that crazy, colorful sunshine she brings into his life.

"She's here for you, baby girl. I'll just be in my office," Alec said, standing up and walking away without another glance at Rory. The thick tension in the apartment was unmistakable.

I looked at Emil. "Could you give us a minute?" He nodded, locked the front door, and moved to his part of the apartment. "Hey, Rory. Is everything alright?"

She sighed, wiping her hands on her jeans. Casual clothing has always been her go-to. I remembered how she preferred jeans and shirts over skirts and dresses. "Do you know where I live, Mara?"

Confused, I shook my head. I didn't know where she lived, but I knew Alec would have the answer. It was no secret he hadn't moved on from what happened between them; I saw it occasionally despite his tough exterior.

"I live in this building, Mara. Just below your floor." She shook her head in disbelief. "I went to your dad's house to give you some new designs for your dress, and Jack said you no longer lived there. I tried to call you and Dustyn, but neither of you answered, so I called him instead."

"I didn't know, Rory. I'm sorry," I said, genuinely feeling bad about what my brother had done. I knew Alec was borderline stalking Rory, but I never thought he'd go as far as to buy an apartment in the same building.

Rory shook her head. "I just don't understand why my xáderfos would sell this place to him of all people."

Her thick Greek accent was clear as she expressed her frustration, muttering harsh words under her breath. She ran a hand through her hair and sighed, calming herself.

"You okay?" I asked with a smile. "Let's get you something to drink." I stood up to go to the fridge.

"No, it's okay. I'll just leave the sketches here, and you can let me know what you decide." She placed a folder on the coffee table and began gathering her things.

I quickly moved to help her. "Emil can assist you." I noticed the pile of folders in her arms.

She declined my offer and hurried out of the apartment without another word. I watched her impatiently press the elevator button, waiting for it to arrive. Once it did, she stepped inside.

Closing the door softly behind me, I made my way to Alec's office. The door was wide open, indicating he was reading reports and not in an important meeting. I entered without knocking, ready to fire questions at my brother. "What was that?" I asked as I plopped down in the chair in front of his desk.