Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The news was like a bomb- It came without any warning. I remember the crash. How it almost killed him. How I almost lost him. The scars on his body are still there- still fresh, still new and those purple marks under his eyes. I've never seen him this vulnerable before.

I still remember how his blood was dripping like there's no tomorrow. I remember the nurses holding me back to calm me down while I go ballistic. Thank goodness Matt was strong. I don't know what I'd do without Matt.

Saturday evening, here I am sitting at his bedside, holding his free hand. "Matt please wake up," I whispered through his left ear. "You're missing so much from sleeping. Everybody's been worried sick."

For the past three days, silence has become my answer and I'm still trying to get used to it. He was never quiet.

We were never quiet.

"I swear, if you do that again, I don't know what I'd do with you."

Again, silence was my answer.

"I need you." I felt a liquid drop on my hand. I hadn't realize I was already crying.

I squeezed his hand and said the words I regret not saying,

"I love you."

Right when I said those three words, the pacemaker lost it's beeping sound and was replaced by the sound I fear most. Flat line.

I didn't know what to do. It took me seconds to register what was happening and then it clicked me.

I immediately ran for the doctor's button and pushed it as hard as I could and quickly rushed back to Matt, shaking his lifeless body.

"Matt! Don't leave me!"

I didn't know what I was doing. I just want him to wake up.

"Matt!"

"Matt!"

"Lorri."

I don't remember that in the story.

Whoever disturbed me better have something important to say. I was in the most tragic part of the story; the most heart-breaking.

I closed the book and raised my head only to see a familiar pair of blue irises.

"What's up?"

"Earth on Lorri, I've been calling you for the past five minutes!"

"Sorry, I was reading."

She rolled her eyes. "I noticed."

I ignored her sarcasm. Her sarcasm is the least of my worries right now. Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with voices booming outside my room. I figured it was my neighbors again since my neighbors could really be loud if they want to.

Well can't they see that people are sleeping at that holy hour of the night? At least have some respect for the people asleep. It's been a month since I've been waking up at ungodly hours. I guess I got used to this routine so I did what I usually do which is covering my face with my pillow and finally drifted myself to sleep. And that's how awesome my day is.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I asked trying to wake myself up.

"I'm gonna be absent tomorrow. Probably the whole week. Please tell me you'll be fine. My family's going to my grandma. She's- she's.." she hesitates and her eyes starts to water.