Chapter 1

Chapter 1

© 2014 All rights reserved.

Warning: May contain profanity.

The ocean swells beneath me as my eyes settle on the horizon. I ride my last wave in before jumping off and dragging my board back to shore. Sticking the board in the sand, I roll down my wet suit to my hips before taking a seat beside it.

I watch the other surfers peacefully until I start to feel the exhaustion set in. I load up everything in my car and head home. Sunday surfing has been me and my dad's thing ever since I was little. When he passed away last year in a car accident, I decided to keep the tradition going. 

Me and my mom live in a cute beach town of about thirty thousand people in North Carolina. I absolutely love the boardwalk and the downtown area is gorgeous, with perfect landscaping and flowers hanging from baskets and little shops just off the cobbled sidewalk.

My brother Cameron is in college and turning twenty one in a few weeks. He hardly visits from Clemson, but it's fine by me I guess. I pull into the driveway at my house and glance up at the soft green house with white trimming. It's pretty but small. The house is slightly tucked away from all the hustle and bustle. It's about ten minutes down an empty paved road and enclosed by bright green trees and mom's landscaping work. It's safe to say she's obsessed with working on the yard, which is weird because hardly anyone sees it anyways. 

What I love most is what's to the left of it. There's a small dirt path between the trees that lead to the beach. I can hear the waves from the house, but I can't see it. The stretch isn't great for surfing, trust me I've tried, but it's beautiful. It's almost right out of a postcard. I'll spend my days there just soaking up the sun and reading.

I race up the porch and swing open the door, immediately noticing the house is empty. I bank left and jog up the stairs and step into my room. It's purple and white mostly, with some hints of black in decorations. 

Glancing at the clock I notice it's nearly 7:00 at night. I grab my backpack and settle onto my bed to finish up my homework and afterwards take a shower. I bury my head in the pillow, my long locks soaked and doze off quickly.

~*~

Beep beep beep beep!

The shrill noise of my alarm clock wakes me, and I groan. I roll over and rip the alarm clock from the wall, not having the patience to switch it off. I grab my phone. 6:18 am. I must have hit snooze a couple of times. 

I get ready and straighten my hair, and throw on some skinny jeans with a white lace blouse. I stand in front of my mirror and stare at the girl with long dark brown hair with hints of a lighter brown. My light hazel eyes are emphasized by the light eyeliner and mascara I applied.  I have skin that is medium toned and tan, most likely from my dad's side. My hips are slightly curvy and my chest is just under average in size.

I stand at about 5'4, but honestly wish I could have just a couple more inches. I've never had much confidence and hardly have any experience with guys. It seems I'm the only junior who has yet to even be kissed.

I load up my backpack and rush out the door, and hop into my Jeep. I arrive at school just in time and slide into my desk for English. My best friend Emily makes a tsk-tsk noise and smirks at me just before the bell rings.

After English, Emily and I walk down the hall together and she asks, "Hey Kennedy where were you Saturday? I thought you were coming to Tate's party with me and Chloe?"

"No, I decided to stay in instead." She gives me a look and sighs. 

"Come on, just come to one party with us. They're fun, I swear!"

"Okay Em, maybe. See you later," I say as I turn down another hall to my next class.

I notice Tate Walker and Dylan Lawson practically strutting my way as if they own the place. I have to force myself not to roll my eyes. They were definitely something to look at, I'll give them that. Tate has pretty boy looks and short dark hair. He has a structured jaw and deep green eyes. Dylan was the typical golden haired guy with icy blue eyes and killer dimples. Tate was friendly whereas Dylan was more the big silent type. Both guys were well over six foot, making them tower over most girls, including me.

I grab some books from my locker and hurry down to my history class. And yet again, slip into my desk just as the bell rings.

Mr. Anderson announces a new project and I try to stifle my sigh. Other classmates just decided to let it out and the teacher shoots them a warning glare. He goes over all the guidelines and the presentation standards. Mr. Anderson picks up a list and reads off the partners.

"Heather and Andrew. You will be doing Leonard Grimes."

"Walter and Tyler. Walt Whitman."

He reads through some more and I zone out until I hear, "Dylan and Kennedy. Levi Coffin." I frown. Across the room Dylan appears to be sleeping soundly. I need an A on this project to bring my grade up to at least a B+. It seems I'll be doing a lot of work on my own.

~*~

The rest of the day passes by uneventfully and Chloe, Emily, and I walk out to my Jeep after the last bell. We all hop in and blast the music, playing "On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons. I pull in to Sally's, our favorite small ice cream place. We come at least once a week. Unhealthy, maybe. But the ice cream is to die for. Besides, I work it off through surfing and we all go jogging often to stay in shape for cross country season.

We walk up to the counter and Fred, a man in about his fifties, makes up our usuals. I smile and thank him and he nods. He has laughter creases around his eyes and slightly receding hair. "How's school going?" he asks us politely.

"Fine," I reply and add, "trying to work my grades up to A's and B's before summer."

He smiles and nods and Chloe hands him the money. We take a seat by the window and a Land Rover pulls up. Dylan hops out, along with Tate, Reid, and Preston. They all order an insane amount of ice cream and wander over near our table.

"Hey ladies," Reid says winking. His hair is curly mess that drives girls at our school nuts for some reason. Chloe has had a thing for him for a while but he hardly pays her any attention. She usually gets any guy she wants with her tiny button nose and rosy cheeks framed by straight black locks. Her blue eyes twinkle up at him longingly as he greets us.

"What's up Hawthorne?" Tate calls loudly to Emily. Em rolls her jade eyes in mock annoyance and flips her curly strawberry blond hair over her shoulder. I like to tease her and call her a ginger, but she is positive it's more blond than red.

"Hush up, Tate," she responds playfully.

"You love me," he declares confidently. "Anyways, Preston's throwing a party Friday. Isn't that right, bud?" he says slapping him on the back.

"Yep." he says quietly, refusing to look at us. Tate has kind of taken him under their wing and decided to help him with his girl problems apparently. It's kind of cute I guess, but entirely embarrassing for Preston.

"So," Tate continues, "would you pretty ladies like to come?"

"Of course!" Emily says. "Just text me the address, we'll all be there." she says, glancing at me excitedly.

"Come on man, let's go." Dylan finally says in his deep voice. His eyes roam the cute parlor until they lock with mine. He studies me for a minute before shoving his hands in his pockets and turning to Tate.

"Yeah, yeah." Tate mumbles irritably, adding "Bye Emily!" She waves at him and takes another spoonful of ice cream.

They shuffle out the door and the Land Rover peels out loudly.

"Oh this is going to be just great!" Em squeals, clapping her hands together.