Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I toss my hair over my shoulder and square my back, taking in a deep breath. The bell rings and I shoot up, and head straight for Mr. Big and Brooding. "Dylan!" I call desperately.

He turns, his eyebrow quirked questioningly. I huff and scurry to where he stands watching me. "Um..." I start quietly, as I gather my confidence. "When are you able to work on that project?"

He gives me a smirk and starts to turn around. "Wait!" I say quickly. Dylan glances back at me with a bored expression. "Please, we really need to start. It's due next Wednesday."

His cerulean eyes watch me blankly and he finally breathes out slowly. "Fine. Meet me by my locker after school."

I nod eagerly and ask, "Where is it?"

"Past the science wing. You'll see me." He turns around again and saunters down the hall to his next class, high-fiving a few guys on the way.

I breathe out a sigh of relief and take off to my art class. Chloe glances at me and smiles softly as I dart into the classroom. 2D Drawing & Painting is by far my favorite class, but not that I'm any good at it. The naturally lit room with large windows and mellow music are just what I need in the middle of the day.

Chloe's eyes twinkle with mischief and I wait patiently for her to spill. Her lips twist into a smirk as she finally says, "Guess who thinks you're hot?" Chloe stares at me with wide eyes in anticipation.

My cheeks color and I hesitate. "Um... I don't know, who?"

"Peter Barkley. Like the Peter Barkley!"

I wince slightly. Peter Barkley is the school's beloved football star. His body is absolute perfection and his lips are pure heaven. But as it goes, anyone that beautiful is a complete and utter asshole.

"Kenny. What the hell!" She frowns at me and shakes her head.

"I love you, but honestly you have the worst taste in guys."

"Oh come on, Reid is a sweetheart. He really is." Her eyes turn dreamy and I know I've lost her.

I pick up a couple brushes and sit at an easel near her. I examine the latest piece I've been working on and sigh.

~*~

Finally the last bell rings at the end of the day and I hop up. I stop by my locker and grab my backpack before heading over to the science wing. I notice Dylan down the hall and hurry over.

"Hey." I greet politely. Dylan glances over at me as he stuffs a few binders in his bags.

Okay-y-y.

I watch people walk down the hallway and eventually say, "So about that project-"

"Listen, I don't have a lot of time to waste on this. So if you want a good grade, you're going to have to do the extra work."

I meet his eyes and tilt my head slightly. "When are you free?"

"Babe if you want to go on a date, you don't have to try so hard." He smirks and my fingers clench painfully into my palms. Do not hit him. Do not.

I just decide to wait for a real answer. When he finally realizes he's not getting a response, he slowly turns towards me again. "Okay. How about Saturday afternoon, yeah?"

I feel my body relax a bit. "Oh, I just can't wait!" I sing sarcastically. I'm about to spin around on my heel and strut away when a hand clamps down on my shoulder.

My eyes narrow and swing up to Dylan's face. He holds out his hand as if expecting something. A few seconds pass before, "Phone?" I hand it to him wordlessly and he enters his number. I nod and mumble a quick thanks before I head to my Jeep. Way to kill my sass, Dylan.