chapter 1; the return of an old friend

Jughead Jones

My hand ran through my silky black hair. My heart pounding against my chest like a drum solo.

"Juggie," Toni said softly, and she cupped her hand on my cheek.

I looked in her dark, chocolate coloured eyes. I didn't say anything.

Ali was coming back into town.

Of course I was happy, I would be a backstabbing asshat if I wasn't happy to see my best friend.

But, after everything that has happened while she left. That will be hard to process, and she's missed out on so many dark events. I'm honestly concerned for her. But I'm not going to leave her on her own.

Not again.

I sighed to Toni. "I'm fine. Let's just walk to Southside," I said after the long silence, my voice sharp. Toni looked reluctant, but she let go of me and we walked out of my dad's trailer.

We walked out into the snow and I locked the door of the trailer behind me. I ripped the sheet off my Dad's old motorbike, handed my helmet to Toni, and hopped on.

Toni sat behind me and wrapped her arms around me so she wouldn't fly backwards when I started riding.

I started the motorbike, lifted my foot off the ground and rode out of the Caravan Park.

The world blurring by as I rode, and the way the wind blew passed me, was relaxing. I felt like I could drive out of Riverdale and just keep driving around the world. I realised that I wanted an escape.

Ali Edwards

We had been driving since late last night, I had awoken to my mom cheering, "Wake up Ali, we're here!" My eyes fluttered awake and the sign of Riverdale greeted me as we drove.

A smile curled on my lips.

Yet my stomach churned, I'm not sure why. Well I have a feeling why. I was hella excited to see my friends again. But the idea of seeing Archie, Betty and Jughead was nerving in a way. Going without seeing them for two years, holy hell, this was going to be one hell of a reunion.

I wasn't going to be going to Riverdale High this week. We're going to move back in first, so it will give me some time to adjust back to the setting of the town.

My phone buzzed in my jackets pocket, I pulled it out and I had a text.

From Archie.

'Hey Ali! You've been on my mind, I can't wait to see you again. But we've got a lot to talk about. Sorry I haven't talked to in so long, but a hell of a lot is going on. Text me back.'

I smile lightly to myself. Surprised. He hasn't talked to me in months, neither had Betty nor Jughead.

I mean Betty and I were never that close, she was a cheerleader, had perfect grades and reputation. I guess we just weren't the people to easily become friends with.

Yet Jughead and I, we were another story.