chapter 2; best friends forever

2 days later.
Jughead Jones

My phone buzzed in my pocket, probably just Toni. I ignored it and fell back on my couch, letting the air escape my lungs.

Abruptly someone knocked on the trailer's door.

Give me a break...

I pulled myself off the couch and turned the doorknob.

Holy hell.

I was greeted by a familiar face, her hair still the same dark shade of chocolate brown, her forest green eyes still as mesmerising as the last time I saw them. Ali Edwards.

"Ali/Jughead," we breathed in unison. And naturally, we quickly embraced each other in a warm and tight hug.

I'm not sure how long we stood with our arms wrapped around each other, but holy hell it was perfect. It felt like forever, but was still too short.

"I missed you so freaking much, Ali," I whispered, still holding her in my arms. "You have no idea how much."

I was speaking the truth, I freaking missed her. I missed her laugh, her irreplaceable company, her smile, her hugs, and her beautiful turquoise eyes.

Ali laughed lightly, her voice was shaky. "Same with you, Jug."

Finally, we pulled back from each other, both of us reluctant to let go. She shut the trailer door behind her, then turned and faced me again. My heart pounded in my chest. I felt the urge to kiss her. Wait, what the hell?

Ali cleared her throat. Looking around the trailer. "This place certainly looks cleaner," she spoke, raising an eyebrow.

I stiffened. "Ali, we've got a lot to catch up on," I said, scratching the back of my neck.

"I sorta expected," she chuckled, but it faded. She looked up at me. "Tell me everything."

I started from the beginning. How Jason Blossom was murdered, and later on my dad was framed as the killer and is now in jail. And how the Black Hood shot Fred Andrews, and the sheriff is still trying to track the killer. Then I told her the truth, she deserved to know everything, that I was a serpent now.

Ali's dark turquoise eyes were like those of a deer in front of headlights, wide and innocent. "Holy crap, Jug," she muttered, her hands started to shake at her sides. "I—I..."

Seeing her so broken made my heart sink, I wrapped my arms around her again, she snuggled her head into my chest and hugged back.

"Riverdale has become a hellhole," I muttered. "But, Ali, I'm here for you, OK? I promise."

"Jug... I've got something I need to tell you too," Ali said after a long silence, she reluctantly pulled back from our hug again, but my hands held hers. "When I left Riverdale, my parents had this massive fight. My dad, he packed up and left to who knows where, and he took Jessa with him. The only reason we moved back here is to try and make things better again... Doesn't seem like that will work out either."

"Ali," I breathed. "It will be OK..." A long silence fell between us, I broke it, "Have you talked to anyone else yet?"

"No, I came to you first," Ali answered, meeting my gaze on her. "Jughead, I missed you so much."