Chapter 5: The Heartbroken Misfire

Beira
.................

I bit my nails nervously as I follow Finnick back to his house. A seething Azul storms next to him. I couldn't think of what else to do. Finnick is the only person who can really calm Azul down besides her sister. She turns her head slightly and I can see a bruise forming next to her eye.

When we finally get to Victor's Village it's turned light green and blue. I pat Azul's back as we sit next to each other on the kitchen counter. Finnick gets some ice and puts it on his niece's eye. She winces, then exhales slowly. Finnick pulls up a chair from the table and sits in it. He entwined his fingers and flicks his tongue across his lips.

"Well?"

Azul and I start a chorus of blabbering, but I shut my mouth when I realize she should probably answer. "I tried to lay out a picnic blanket but it flew off and hit some guy's face and he tried to beat me up! I was just defending myself!" says Azul quickly.

Her expression has changed and her once fiery eyes now show regret and fear of retribution. She was caught up in the moment but now her anxiety is taking over. She runs her free hand through her hair and squeezes her eyes shut.

"You're lucky the Peacekeepers weren't there. They would've whipped you," Finnick says, "Or worse." Azul nods. "I know," she whines. I pull her closer to me. She leans on me even though she's technically older. Suddenly, I see an opportunity. "That guy was so mean to you," I mumble, "I am so breaking up with him."

"WHAT?!" yells Azul. She stands up and the ice falls to the floor, "Your boyfriend was that evil jerk with anger issues?!" Oops. This backfired. I try to diffuse the situation. "He was, but I only knew him for like a week! He had never shown any indication of that!" I try to stay calm, but my voice rises. Why does she get to judge my boyfriend, even if he's not really my boyfriend and he beat her up?

Finnick stands up and comes between us. "Girls, please calm d-" he tries. Adrenaline rushes into my veins and I just want to scream. But Azul stand on her toes and peers over his shoulder at me. "YOU HAVE BAD JUDGEMENT!" She screams at me. I can tell it's at the top of her lungs because it has a strange grating quality. And because it's really loud. "WELL YOU DON'T GET TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" I yell back at her.
It's kind of dumb for me to defend him, but I can't back out now.

"I'M OLDER THEN YOU!" She shouts and points at me.

Finnick's voice has risen, too. "CALM DOWN!" He yells. "YOU'RE NOT HELPING!" I screech at him. "SHUT UP!" yells Azul, with tears in her eyes. "IF YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH BULLIES AND JERKS, THEN I DON'T THINK I CAN LIVE MY LIFE WITH YOU!"

She turns around and time seems to slow down. I can feel our friendship cracking. A series of mental explosions shake my mind. I take a step forward and reach out my hand. My eyes catch one final moment of beauty in Azul's long, red hair. It weaves and slithers like a waterfall. In slow motion, Azul storms out the screen door. Before she closes it, I shout, "Wait, listen!" She turns around with a furrowed brow and a tear runs down her cheek, like the first raindrop indicating a storm. She opens her mouth and belts one last, "NO!" And then she slams the screen door shut.

Time returns back to its normal pace and I fall to my knees. I start to sob. I turn my back to the screen, trying to delete all memories of the last thirty minutes. My blood loses heat like I dunked it into ice. Finnick kneels beside me and I lean into him. "I messed up, Finnick!" I choke out, "I messed up!" He hugs me and doesn't say anything. I lift my head slightly and see the front door.

I suck in a big breath and the door freaks open to reveal a very confused Annie. She quickly sets down her bag and with no questions, walks over and hugs us.