Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Cheater

I sat on the couch, anxiously awaiting Castle's return. I looked at the door every time I heard a noise. Suddenly, my phone rang. I looked at the number, but I didn't recognize it. I hesitantly answered, "Hello?" The voice that came on the other end was Castle. "Hey, babe, I left my phone at home so I had to call from the restaurant phone." He replied as I looked over at his phone laying on the couch next to me. I never noticed it until then.

"Are you almost done?" I asked.

"No, we have to stay another half hour. I'm really sorry. These publishers don't know how to make up their minds!" He replied. I sighed and said goodbye. When I hung up, I went to the fridge and looked for something to eat. I grabbed the carton of strawberries, rinsed them off, and went back to the couch.

I turned the tv on and looked for something to watch. As I was looking for something to watch, I heard a text message beep. I looked at my phone but I didn't get a text. Then I remembered that Castle left his phone here. I looked down at his phone and his screen was lit up. I picked it up and looked at who texted him. My heart sank.

The text was from 'Emily'. My eyes filled with tears as I read, "Hey babe! I can't wait to see you tonight! Love you <3". My sadness turned into anger. It was our one-year anniversary since the engagement. I couldn't believe he was screwing around with another girl and she said she loved him.

With anger in my heart, I unlocked Castle's phone and opened up his messages. The texts between him and this so called Christine were flirty and sexual. "Ricky, won't you come over and help me with my bath?" and "Emmy, I'm with my fiancée, I can't now, but maybe later ;)". I threw his phone on the couch and rushed to the door.

I swung it open and ran to my car with tears streaming down my face. When I got to my car, I slammed the door shut and buried my head in my hands and sobbed. My breaths were rapid and staggered. When I realized how angry I was I stopped crying and started banging my head against the seat. How could I have been so stupid? How could I not see this going on?

I looked down at my hands and saw my engagement ring and ripped it off. I fiddled with it and looked closely at it. A million little pieces of diamond fragments shined in the late afternoon sun. I closed my eyes and put the ring back on.

I figured Castle would have an explanation. But how true would it be? He makes a living writing fiction, and with a subject so delicate as cheating on your future wife, why wouldn't he make up some crazy story about that fiancé stealing skank? But I wasn't going to let him treat me like that.

I put the key in and turned it. As I rolled out of the parking lot, one thing was on my mind. Revenge.