Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The Answer

The park bench I was sitting on felt like air as I saw Castle hold up the ring box. I couldn't believe this was happening. We had only been together for a year, despite the three other years spent being partners. I blinked myself out of my trance of confusion and flashed back to reality.

"Castle, I- you- w- oh my god Castle!" I stammered out. His face fell. "So that's a no?" He asked hopelessly. I stood up and set my hand on his shoulder as he stood to meet me. "Castle, I love you. And this is the most amazing thing, but I just think it's a bit too soon in our relationship." I replied. Castle closed the box and looked down.

"Kate, I'm not proposing to you because I think we are going to lose interest in each other or slip away from each other. I'm proposing because I love you more than I love myself and that's saying a lot." He said. I chuckled, bit my lip, and looked him in the eyes, those heart melting ocean blue eyes.

"Well," I said as I wrapped my arms around his neck, "Richard Edgar Alexander Rogers Castle, yes I will marry you." He grinned and leaned down, our lips meeting in a passionate, gentle kiss. I was now an engaged woman and it felt amazing. When we broke away from our kiss, Castle pulled out the ring and slid it on to my finger. I gazed down at the ring and a snowflake fell onto it, melting away and making the gem glisten even more.

I looked up at Castle, who had tears in his eyes. "It's beautiful." I said. He kissed my forehead and pulled me close to him. His body against mine warmed me as we walked back to the loft.