PROLOGUE

00| prologue — embers

INSANITY CONSUMED THE DARK CORNERS OF HER MIND. The demons in her head constantly kept her awake allowing her to never sleep. Voices surround her everywhere she went, her head swirling with words she can not express. Sage Mcallister was a prisoner trapped inside her own head—her only demon being herself.

The brunette sat in the corner of the all white room, her knees pulled up to her chest. The only bit of color in the room was her pale blue nightgown that rested upon her pale skin. Sage liked to imagine that the white room she was held in was heaven. When she was younger her mother would always tell her the stories of how one day they would all reach eternal glory. The teenage girl couldn't help but think when she would reach her eternal glory. The place where she would be free—the place where she would be sane.

Every waking minute of the day she sits in the corner with her knees pulled to her chest. She rocks back and fourth to the rhythm of the lullaby she hums to herself. Her colorless eyes dart to every part of the room in fear that it will be in the room with her. It has been exactly four days since the last episode—the longest it's ever been away from her.

The demogorgon used to never leave her. From the age of seven to fifteen it possessed the teenage girl, making her a true monster. She had no control over her body. It was like she was in a dark room locked away, as the demogorgon took possession over her. She could see and feel it inside her, but could never control it.

When her episodes occur all she remembers is the pain she felt. She can feel every inch of her body feel weak, trembling with fear like she was paralyzed. The bad men always tell her she screams and throws fits when it's inside her, which is why they keep her locked up.

The bad men believed they are helping Sage, but they are making her worse. All of the tests they put her under has made the teenage girl go unhinged. Sage is a ticking bomb ready to go off any moment. The littlest things can set her off, causing hallucinations to overcome her making her unclear of what's fake and what's reality.

Suddenly, the door of the room began to creek open. Sage instantly stopped her humming, her puffed hazel eyes looking towards the door. Two bad men walked in, one holding a brief case. Sage knew why they were here. She had never struggled before, but she knew they were taking her to him.

The two men grabbed her by the arms harshly, pulling her off the ground. Sage shook her body fiercely, trying to restrain the grip of the two men.

"Let go of me!" She screamed, kicking her legs with all of her might. The men only tightened their grip on her, causing her to scream even louder.

"Please don't send me back, I'll do anything," She cried, tears rolling down her flushed face.

The men ignored her pleads and dragged her towards the door. Sage's eyes widened, her screams became even louder, as she continued to try and break from their arms.

"No–no–no!" She sobbed shaking her head, as she pounded against their chests.

All of a sudden she felt a sharp pain in her back, making her gasp form the sudden shock. One of the men ejected a serum into the teenage girl, before pulling out the syringe and placing it into the pocket of his suit. Sage's screams stopped, only her tears rolled down her cheeks. Her colorless eyes began to roll to the back of her head, her body slumping into their arms. The men picked her up taking her out the door, leaving her once again in the darkness.