Chapter 1 (Part 2)

I (II)

Dallas, Texas

Saturday, 10:20 pm.

"Name."

"It's Camila Vargas."

There was a long pause where Michi gathered her thoughts and opinions in one sentence before giving him her answer, "Have you gone out of your mind? Working with Camila is a suicide, it is dangerous."

"When was it a problem for you?"

She knew he was right, she wasn't exactly afraid of any danger that came her way, but as of now, she thought about her safety more than ever. She was so close to the goal that any unplanned danger can take it away from her in a blink of an eye.

The only thing that troubled her mind right now was the fact that Camila turned to Russians for help. That meant she was desperate.

"I didn't know Camila started working with Russians."

"She didn't. She doesn't know about me but knows about your business and she is interested."

So, she wasn't as desperate. It was not a secret that Michi admired Camila's achievements and deep inside she wanted to cooperate with this woman. So, hearing that Camila took interest in a small growing business was both a surprise and a pleasant discovery. But Michi knew that it can, also, bring more problems than benefits.

"And how did you contacted her?"

"Let's just say, my people know their job, I saw an opportunity for you and I took it," he took a deep breath in and lowered his voice almost to a whisper, "Listen, I know you don't like to pick sides, but Camila almost owns Texas it is a great opportunity for the future."

"Yes, for now, but I heard she has nothing left to keep it this way. I don't have any reason to help her. She is on the war with her own husband, it can't possibly end well."

"Mi, just meet her people tomorrow, see what they can offer and think about it. You don't need to give them much, but a small favor can be very beneficial in the future. You don't know who will win and sometimes you need to play both fields."

She was silent for a one painful minute, "It may get me killed," she whispered in the dark of the office that was illuminated only by rich red lights from the dance floor which changed to blues and greens.

"Then you should play the game carefully, the way you were taught. Khorosho?"

"Yes"

"Good," he whispered and she heard something heavy hanging on the edge of his words, "So, how is the business? How are you?" he was no more whispering, his voice returning to the usual friendly casualness.

"Everything is good so far, we have some problems with supplying, but soon I will deal with everything. George promised to help me with few things, so, yeah, everything is very good."

"I am glad to hear it. You know, I always knew you were born for this kind of work. Alejandro thought the same thing. You take a good care of what is yours."

The name made her freeze for a second, wallow deep in thoughts and misery. She avoided this name for too long, but it always followed behind, always close at her heels.

"Yeah," her voice gave away for a second and she coughed to regain it, "So, how is your business?"

"You always avoid the talk Mi. Always," he exhales loudly and tiredly, "My business is as always. Dad is missing you, he can't finish anything properly without you. He changed 10 assistants already."