Chapter Eight

Josie Point of View

The holding cells weren't bad, just kind of cold and the thin mattress wasn't nice on my back like my bed back home.  I woke up wincing, stretching, and then lay back again.

Home.... At the Helm. It felt so weird to know that Kasey was alive and my home wasn't her. She was everything to me... so much so that I denied Julia for years before finally giving in. We were really happy together, but Julia would never be Kasey.

Sierra began to stir, and when she looked over towards the bars of the cell she gasped. I sat up abruptly to look and there she was.

"Kasey?" I whispered, wondering how the hell she was out of bed after we saw her go down yesterday. I could barely sleep or keep my dinner down last night I was so nervous. Of course no one came to update us...

She was straddling a plastic chair just behind the bars, and her face held so many emotions... anger, betrayal... nothing like the longing or love that I was secretly hoping for. She was a little pale, and she seemed to be having a little trouble with her breathing, but other than that she was perfect. I've never seen her look so strong, muscles bulging from the tight green shirt she was wearing, and even with the army pants she was wearing you could tell she was fit. She was actually scary, even Jackson was holding his breath, unable to meet her eyes. They'd always hated each other, even before Tristan was born.

"I had to come see it for myself" she said, leaning back to press a hand to her chest. Her eyes narrowed at us individually, resting on me last. I had to look away, the shame was too much. "I want to make something crystal clear." She stated, her voice strong. "I carried those kids on my back for a year ALONE, and then Clay found us and he helped carry the load." She paused, pressing her hand to her chest as she coughed. Without a sound, Clay came into view quickly with water and a pill. Kasey shook her head at the pill, but chugged the water. He raised an eyebrow at her but she smirked. "I'm fine, babe, really."

He knelt at her side, and then looked at us as she did individually. Jackson was not afraid to meet his eyes as he was Kasey. She put a hand on Clays shoulder, and facing us she started again. "Those kids have been through enough, they do not want you here, and neither do I. The Helm is attacking us because they think we kidnapped you. Your precious Julia is a fucking nut case." Her eyes blazed as mine widened. Jackson began to speak but she cut him off. "I am in charge here, I am captain, these are my people. And this is my husband and those are my kids. You don't get to come here after all these years and pick up where everything left off. It's too little too late. We went to Marks house looking, we looked for years, and we've even sent a list of family to The Helm before to see if anyone was there. Funny how your names didn't make it on the list back to us."

She glared again, bringing a hand up to hold her chest. Clay put his on top of it and intertwined their fingers. She looked down at him and without looking away she spoke, "I was so cold and so angry and alone with two babies when I found Clay. And he even stuck around for ten years waiting for me to admit I loved him too, even longer for me to marry him. He's everything to me and you staying here won't change that for me, not ever." She met my eyes then, hers determined and unwavering. A tear slipped out and I didn't bother to wipe it away, but she was unfazed. "There is nothing here for any of you, so I suggest you don't fight us when we take you out to your people tomorrow. Julia wanted to come today, but my people need time to heal."

"As do you" Clay said, standing. "Let's get you back to bed. Aurora was sleeping when you left so I'm sure she's out of her mind waking up without you."

At this point Jackson had had enough. "How can you say we have nothing here when you have our children? OUR children. You always wished they were yours, funny how convenient this is all working out for you, you bitch." His chest heaved, and I fearfully looked to the bars to see her reaction. Her eyes blazed but otherwise she stayed in complete control. Clay reached up to grip her shoulder and she shook her head.

"You think it was convenient what I did to save your children, Jackson? It would have been convenient to pretend they were dead and run away to meet you but I didn't. I saved them, risked everything for them, and built this strong hold FOR THEM. You think you can live in an ignorant bliss thinking we were dead all this time and now come back and be their parents? Fuck you." She pressed a hand to her chest as it heaved, but her face gave away no pain. A throat cleared and everyone looked to see Tristan walk in. He had just showered it looked like, and had a royal blue shit on with his army pants that brought out the blue in his eyes.

He raised his hands in surrender looking at Kasey, "Mom, will you please get back to bed? No one is expecting you to be up and about. Please let dad and I handle this." He pleaded. He tilted his head as we heard stomping down the stairs. He rubbed his head and cursed.

Aurora entered and the room seem to visibly brighten. She was so beautiful, dark hair and olive skin tone. She looked toned and strong, not as much as Kasey but she seemed on her way. "Mom" she said sternly, pointing her finger, "coming from a proud medic in training I'm telling you to get your ass in bed right now please ma'am." She smiled brightly, and even Kasey looked like she was struggling to keep a smile at bay.

She threw her hands up. "Fine! I will lay down and take a power nap and-"but she stopped when Clay, Tristan, and Aurora all glared. "I'm the Captain here, and I'm telling you that I can't lay around." Her voice softened as she reached forward to play a hand on Tristan and Aurora's cheeks, "I can't lay around, but I will keep off my feet in my office. Deal?" She removed her hands from them and pointed her pinkies at them. Aurora giggled, wrapping hers around and Tristan followed suit.

She gave us all one last glare as Clay wrapped his arm around her shoulders and led them back the way they'd all come from, and Aurora followed. Tristan, however, stayed and took over Kasey's position on the chair. I sighed and lay back down, staring up at the ceiling.

How did everything get so wrong?