Book 1 Chapter XXI: Princess Ixerthi

If I had the time, I'd detail how often you prefer dealing with illusions rather than the real thing. Problems you refuse to deal with don't exist! You deny reality! -- Alice: Madness Returns

Kilan's awakening early the next morning was nothing like his awakening on a certain other memorable occasion. He drifted out of sleep gradually. By the time he was fully awake, he had remembered all the events of the night before.

He waited for regret, or embarrassment, or any of the emotions he had felt last time. None of them came. He couldn't tell if that was a good thing or bad thing. He decided it wasn't important.

Death was still asleep beside him. She hadn't stolen the quilt this time, but not for want of trying. More than half of it was wrapped around her, leaving Kilan with very little of it. He tugged it out of her grasp and tried to get back to sleep. The sun wasn't up yet. It was far too early to be awake.

What felt like mere minutes later, Kilan woke again, this time to someone shaking him.

"Wassamatter?" he mumbled, slurring his words together.

"Your servants will be here soon," Death said. "I must leave now. And I advise you put some clothes on if you want to avoid awkward questions."

She was gone before Kilan could form a response to that sentence. He muttered a few uncomplimentary things about his servants, the trials of being Emperor, and personifications of concepts who disappeared without saying goodbye.

Now, where were his clothes?

~~~~

"Good morning, your Majesty." Really, was it possible for anyone to sound less sincere than Chief Counsellor Dilves did at that moment? "I trust you slept well."

Kilan bit his tongue to keep himself from saying something unwise. "I have made preparations for my visit to Istogu. I believe early next week would be the best time. And I have also decided to find a secretary."

"An excellent idea, your Majesty," the Chief Counsellor said, in a tone that made it sound like, 'How can anyone be as stupid as you?' "Shall I start looking for suitable candidates?"

"No need. I've already asked my sister Nadriet if she would like the job, and she's accepted."

Dilves looked as if she had just swallowed a lemon. "Very good, your Majesty."

Kilan had taken to keeping a mental scoreboard where he recorded the outcome of each clash between himself and the High Council. It currently read Kilan: 5 -- High Council: 3. He added another point to his score.

~~~~

Nadriet had been surprised when Kilan sent her a chenla-message asking her to be his secretary. After some consideration, she decided she might as well accept. Whatever else could be said for life in the royal court, it was unlikely to be dull.

She revised that idea when she arrived in Zasrodoth Palace to find her brother embroiled in a screaming match with his Council. Life in the royal court would definitely not be dull.

"What was that about?" she asked when the Council had been dismissed for the day.

Kilan gave a shaky laugh and ran a hand through his tangled hair. "A difference of opinion. They think I'm not going to Istogu without them, and I think I am. How is everyone?"

"Everyone's fine," Nadriet said. "Father told me to tell you it's high time you got married, and Mother said to warn you the High Council would want you to do whatever they want."