Eight

Camila watched Lauren skate around her driveway on her new skateboard. The muscular nine-year-old had worked for three months to save up for it, and she was already popping ollies and kickflips.

"Come on Camz, wanna try?" The doe-eyed eight-year-old smiled and shook her head, watching her best friend master trick after trick. The darker haired one begged until Camila finally agreed and stepped on the board.

Sinu and Alejandro watched the pair from the window, soft siles on their faces. Their daughter, bow and all, was being guided around on a skateboard by the beanie adorned tomboy. Neither could deny the cuteness coming from the pair.

-------

"Lolo?" Lauren looked up from the piece of wood she was carving, she had found a pocketknife earlier that week.

"Yeah?"

"Is second grade... hard?" The nine-year-old considered this.

"I mean, I guess. Why?" Camila's eyes filled with tears, leaving Lauren confused.

"It's our last year having recess together," 1st-3rd grade had recess together, then 4th and 5th grade had it together. They still shared the same times, just different playgrounds.

Lauren dropped the wood and knife, grabbing Camila's hand.

"When I'm in 4th grade, I'll still come play with you," The smaller gave her a surprised look.

"Even if you get a timeout?"

"Even if I get a timeout," Lauren was then tackled into a hug by her favorite person ever.