Chapter two

Unfortunately, the trip finished too soon. We gathered our stuff, we headed back to the airport and then to Brooklyn.

David and me, didn't lose each other, and we really became best friends. Everything was almost perfect and the fourth year of high school started. We used to study together after school and then to hang out at night. Always the two of us. A year passed quickly, and soon it was summer again, after tons of homework, Christmas and Easter holiday and also some dramas at school.

We couldn't stay together all the time and he went on holiday with his family while I went with mine. We went to Cape Code, where we usually go. There weren't a lot of people of my age there, but I was in love with that place, so I didn't care about that so much. But that year, something special happened.

I put my sun protection on, I took Breakfast at Tiffany's, my iPod, and then I went reading on the warm sand of the seashore on the notes of The Sound of Silence. I loved the feelings it brought me. The delicate breeze of the wind through my hair and the sound of the crashing waves on the beach. That sensation of freedom.

Suddenly, Michael, one of the very few friends I have there, came to me and said: «Hey, Clary, I want you to meet my friend Duke. We are in the same class at school» he continued. "Damn he was so hot" I thought as soon as I saw him. «It's a pleasure to meet you» I replied. The sunlight was really strong and I had my sunglasses on. I know it's not polite to keep them on while speaking with someone, but I couldn't see a damn thing.

«Guys, I'm really sorry, but I have to leave you now. I have something to do» then added Michael. I gave him the "Are you crazy? Are you really leaving me with him?" look.

«So...» ok, I confess I had no idea what to say.

«You wanna take a walk on the sea shore? » Duke asked. Thank God, he came up with some ideas. I hate that odd silence. We then started to talk about our families, about our school, music, movies...basically everything. You know, just to know each other. He was a very funny guy and sweet and...so goddamn hot. Time really flew by. We talked and walked for almost an hour under the warm light of the August sun and I really enjoyed it. «You wanna take a bath? » I asked. I was so happy to have him around and I couldn't get enough of him. I just wanted more and more. I wanted to know him. To know all his passions. To know all his secrets. He accepted with a smile my offer. I brought my glasses, my book and my iPod at the beach umbrella and we then entered the refreshing waters of the Ocean.

Days passed and the more I knew Duke, the more I liked him and he seemed to like me back, but I confess I didn't know how to deal with that, as nobody noticed me before. I mean. I grew up at Cape Code. Everybody always saw me as that little girl that usually spent her holidays there and, I confess, I thought the same about all the other guys. But now, everything was different. I was different. I was slowly entering the adult's world and I wanted to discover it, to know it, little by little, but it was hard when everybody just saw you as that sweet, cute little girl. Luckily, I met Duke, and things were about to change...

 On Duke's last night, our hotel organized a dinner on the beach and we decided to go. The dress code was elegant for both man and women. Luckily, I brought a blue dress covered with sparkles with me. I meant to wear it for a disco night, that's why it was really short, but I had no other choice. I was late to dinner that night. Like I'm never late. Anyway, the only free place available was next to Duke, not that I had something to complain. I was happy about it.

The dinner was amazing and, at the end of the night, there was a beautiful show of fireworks. But, in the middle of it, Duke gently took my hand and said: «Would you come with me? ». I smiled and followed him along the wooden path that lead to sea shore. I took off my heels, and we started to walk on the cold sand. We reached a sunbed, we sat there and we kept looking at the fireworks. After a while, I felt him staring at me. He put his hand on my waist and I softly lean my head on his chest. I felt the tension growing. The two of us. On our own. No-one else around. Under the night sky. The stars. The fireworks that lighted our faces. My heart beat faster. The breaths became shorter and shorter. I was in panic, but it was a sweet, anxious and perfect moment. The one that gives you shivers all along your body. The one that makes you enable to react. The one you always wish to live over and over again. I could hear his heart beating. He was at the same rhythm as mine. I raised my head. We looked at each other, and I said: «We should go back now. The others will be searching for us». That perfect moment, immediately broke into pieces. We let off steam and, finally, I wasn't worried and afraid anymore of what could have happened.