Chapter 3

I reached the hotel room. I took off my make-up and my dress, put my pj's on and went to bed. I was really tired. I closed my eyes and started to think about what happened before, or, better, what didn't happen. Suddenly, I received a message that completely woke me. "Who dare to disturb my sleep?" I took the phone and I read it was from...Duke?! "How is it possible that he has my number?" I thought. But he must had asked Michael. I opened my phone and started to read the message. It was very long and it was 2AM. It said: «Sorry to write you in the middle of the night, but I wanted to tell you something. The first time I saw you, you were wearing the sun glasses and I thought: "This girl doesn't tell me anything". But when you took them off, I saw another person, also because when we went to have a bath together we were closer. I have to admit it, those green eyes of yours give me shivers, but in a good way. And about tonight...I was pretty sure you would have come dressing in the most elegant way, which pointed out all your qualities, in particular your smile. I was astonished. Then I brought you on the sea shore. It seemed to me to be living in a movie, when you leaned you head on my chest my heart started to beat faster and faster. I didn't know whether to kiss you or not, but I opted for a no, for different reasons. But now that I'm far away from you, I understand I made a mistake with you. It won't happen again another perfect moment like that and neither another girl like you. It can be really strange to you, but I like you very much, even though I've known you for a short time». I didn't know what to answer. I wasn't used to that kind of messages. After thinking about it for a long a time, I replied: «Thank you so much for what you said. Nobody ever said those beautiful things to me. I'm really happy that I've met you and in no time, I knew you better than most of the people I've known for a long time. Btw, I preferred you didn't kissed me, cuz most of the guys just think of one thing without really caring about the rest. Good night».

I spent my last days at the sea-side enjoying the warm sand, the gentle breeze of the wind and the Ocean. But something in me changed. I wasn't the same girl that arrived at Cape Code two weeks before. I started to sense a new feeling in me. Something I didn't felt before. It was strange. I didn't know exactly what that was, but I knew it had to with Duke. Was that love? Or maybe attraction? Or just happiness for a new friendship? And, was that friendship? I had no idea. But he returned home. He lived far from me and I had no chance to bump into him in the streets of Brooklyn.

After five long hours on the car with my headphones and some food, I arrived home. It was so strange to be there again. It seemed like I didn't even go on vacation. Every year passes so quickly that I hardly have time to appreciate what's happening to me.

Anyway, the next day I came back I started doing my school homework. Yeah, that boring thing we students have to do. And...guess what? I received a message from Duke. I hadn't heard from him for several days. But there he goes. I was excited about that, because that meant he cared about me and that he thought me. But what were his true intentions I had no idea. The distance was a real problem. That's why I thought it would also have been difficult to start a friendship. We started to write each other. From a message a week, to a message every minute. We talked about anything we had in mind, also stupid stuff of course. Something was changing between us. Among all those text, there were a lot of hearts and kissy faces. I really started to like him and I think he had the same idea. But, I then discovered something that shocked me.

He had a girlfriend.