#ThanksgivingBreakUp

I was ready to come home and rest during Thanksgiving break this year. I'd been working hard in my classes to keep my 3.6 GPA. Plus, I was working as an assistant in the president's office. I was ready to see my family and everything! I thought Thanksgiving was gonna be lit! I was ready to watch football with my dad just like old times and eat some of my mom's great food! My twin cousins were coming over and they were freshman at Stallworth State University, an HBCU in Stallworth, Georgia that's Laketon State's rival school. That didn't happen.

Thanksgiving afternoon I heard the doorbell ringing. It was odd to me because all of our family members that were visiting were already over. Curiously, I went to open the door. WHen I opened it, It was like I was smacked in the face. There Tony was, looking at me with a grin on his face. I looked at him through the screen door. At first, I didn't understand. Why in the world would he be at my house? Things became apparent when my mom came up behind me and said, "Who's that Carmen? Oh, hey Tony! What's wrong with you baby? Let him in! You don't want to leave our guest standing out there."

I opened the door and moved away quickly so he wouldn't think about touching me. He walked in and everyone treated him like he was one of the members of the family.

"Hey Tony!"

"What's up Tone!"

"How about those Falcons Tony!"

The only person that felt my pain was Laya, now a sophomore in high school who knows good and well how trifling niggas are! I told her the same thing I told Mama and she understood completely where I was coming from.

After I told her my story, she said, "Girl, you're better than I would've been! I would've cut him off when his dumb ass was failing three classes!"

I immediately went to her after he came in. I walked over to her shaking my head. She stared over at him hugging our Auntie and dapping up our twin cousins.

"Carmen, why is he here?"

"I have no clue. I think Mama invited him.:

She looked at me like I was crazy. "You gotta be playing with me."

"I don't know but she said 'our guest' and I know I didn't invite him."

Laya seemed more mad than I was. "This is like something out of a movie! Didn't you tell Mama about your issue with him?"

"I swear I did!"

"You need to go talk to her or something because something clearly got miscommunicated."

I sighed. "I guess I'll go over and do it now."

I started to walk over with my head lowered. She grabbed me, "Sis, are you ok?"

"I will be when I find some way to to deal with how I'm feeling right now."

"If you need me to do anything just let me know."

I nodded and walked to find Mama. I walked in the kitchen looking for her when I came face to face with Tony.

"What's up Carmen?"

"What are you doing here?"

"It's Thanksgiving. Your mom called to check on me and told me you guys were having family dinner again this year and I decided to come through You already know I wouldn't miss being around the family!"

"You know you need to stop playing because you're not fooling me. Why are you here Tony?"

He sighed. "I wanted to see you. You know we haven't talked in awhile."