Penelope Skye Signs A Hat

INTERLUDE
2018

"Yeah, I'll sign your hat for you, thanks."
The Last Words Of Penelope Skye

Beverly Hills is dead inside.

She works the graveyard shift at a popular NY nightclub, and bar shift is her greatest fear.

Bev grumbles and shoves the freezer cables haphazardly away. It shocks her finger, and she sighs ever louder. They'd have to fix it someday, but for now, they're using a cheap portable freezer.

As the night wears on, it proves to be a mistake.

Some pop star has decided to show up, flooding the club way past capacity. Christ, and it's a Friday night as well.

The guy with a hat wants a chilled. That guy over there wants a mix. Yep. A blonde girl mutters about terrible service.

Bev takes the freezer out and fetches a bottle from the highest shelf.

(terrible service)

She drops the bottle, clear liquid spilling over the floor. All eyes turn to her.

The wire begins to spark, and ten minutes later, Beverly Hills is dead and the nightclub is alight like the Olympic torch.

=

She's always been the kind of person that seeks meaning.

So when Pen dies, she pores over the newspapers, hoping to find closure.

Her twisted mind thinks that arson would be good enough, that it gives her something to hate and to blame.

But it's just a novice bartender who spilled something on something and created a fire.

But it is arson, she thinks, arson of the heart.