eight

ʽ RETURN ʼ ˑ
━━━━
present day clear

CLOUDS parted against the cerulean skies, and finally, the sun emerged. Weeks of gray had shrouded your vibrant world in shadows and it was as if the universe had just been biding it's time until you reached your answer. It was a revelation that had taken far too long and you could only wince at the memories of your blissful ignorance. You had already outlived your ending.

"The reason why everyone was so nice to me..." You whispered, remembering your earlier conversations with friends, your strange incidents with teachers. Unparalleled kindness and patience that you certainly didn't deserve, nor had you received in the past. And now you realized it hadn't been unfounded good will - it was pity. Sympathy for a lost soul. Friends trying to hold on to what had already disappeared.

What should have disappeared.

"Seonhwa, you're not allowed to be here." Taehyung spoke slowly, his reply brusque, though his voice failed in conviction as he stumbled through his words.

You couldn't face him. It was as if looking at him would've made everything real. Of course, you already knew there was a limit to self-delusion. Even if you closed your eyes, even if you blindfolded yourself to the truth - you already knew. You couldn't stay here.

"Go." He said. Blunt and callous.

Shaky fingers curled into a fist, and as your nails dug into your palms you couldn't hold back your exasperation anymore. It seemed like everyone else had wanted you to stay. They had wanted you to forget about everything that happened at the lighthouse. And yet, there was Taehyung. Resolute and unwavering as he tried to remove you from the world.

"I-I still want to be with everyone..." You mumbled, your voice trembling as you tried to hold back your tears.

It was unfair. Even if you sounded like a spoiled child, even if you were just a stubborn girl - you wanted sympathy. You wanted remorse. You wanted him to say that he would miss you. You wanted him to hold on to you - to stop you from leaving.

Raw emotion flooded every cell in your body, and your composure finally crumbled. Hiding your face within your hands, you felt your tears dripping down your cheeks. You couldn't let him see you. You didn't want him to.

From behind your fingers, you whispered out the words you had kept locked in the back of your heart. Words you were too afraid to say before.

"I still want to be with yo-"

However, before you could even finish, a strong pair of arms wrapped around your shoulders and you felt yourself pulled into Taehyung's chest. Slender fingers tangled within black locks as he held you closer -- tighter -- as if all it took was one gust of wind to break you apart. The slow rise and fall of his chest, the gentle breaths that left his lips - would you eventually forget it all?

"You have to go. I'm begging you." He whispered and his nails dug into the palms of his hands. Despite the shaky words that fell from his lips, his eyes - overrun with regret - said otherwise.

"If not, everything I did..." Taehyung whispered, long limbs trembling as he embraced you. Every emotion he failed to put into words, everything he wanted to say, every apology he kept hidden - you felt it all within his arms. But, amidst the warmth of his body, there was also an ominous cold. It was the sound of a lone heart beating, resonating at the centre of two figures linked by arms.

The male carefully tore himself away, and though you had been avoiding his gaze throughout the excursion, courage and curiosity assuaged your fears, and finally, you both locked eyes.

Red circles lined glassy caramel orbs and wisps of messy tresses flicked across his cheeks as the wind toyed with his swept hair and loose uniform. While the sun bathed Pohang in a warm orange, for you and Taehyung who hid beneath the shade of the lighthouse, only shadows colored your universe.

It was time to go.

"I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise to you." Confusion only quirked on your brows at his last words, and before you had a chance to question it further, you felt yourself gently falling backwards into the abyss.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

we're almost at the end!
i know some (most lol) are
probably confused but it'll
hopefully make sense by the
last chapter! :'0