The Evacuee

Flare gazed in awe at Cetzé island, her new home until the end of the war. The towering sky scrapers loomed above her, filling the corners of her view and glistening like gold: they even intimidated the the glimmering white but smaller bridges, navigating the civilians over the icy rivers, which popped up everywhere. But if you looked past the well-kept city, the picturesque, untouched countryside rolled out perfectly. Surreal mountains were everywhere, it was like a scene out a childs storybook.

But that was Flare. Not I, Blossom Madrais. I was to be sent off to Murtley: even the name sounds like hell. It's not a tropical paradise like most of the other local islands. It was a dark, gloomy lump, a place even Jesus could not make a positive of. Emerging into vision, I got my first glimpse of it. What a vile, sickly place it was! Yak! Smoke and darkness lingered in the air above, as predicted by most. A light set of footsteps trod on the decks behind me, most definitely belonging to a young child: about my age.

"I'm so sorry Blossom" a small voice muttered from behind me. I swung my head round and half smiled when I saw Flare, but even her, my one and only friend could not give me a slight bit of joy at this moment in time. I nodded slightly and looked away, back into the plethora of ocean.

I obviously knew she felt sorry because I was stuck on grotesque Murtley and she was on picturesque Cezté. It's not her fault though, who went where was randomly selected. And anywhere was safer than home I guess. With the war and that. As long as I am away from the battlefield, I have been given sufficient, but that doesn't mean I like Murtley.

Oh, I haven't said about the war yet, have I? Well, a few weeks ago, the country of Wesdale - the main oil suppliers for our country cut of oil supplies to my country, Serena, and kept it for themselves. Living conditions soon became harsh as the oil became scarce. To do something about it, we declared war and wouldn't stop until we got our oil. But the greedy people still did not give us our fair share.

When the first attack was launched in the east, children were immediately evacuated from Serena. Which is how I got up on this boat - and even if I am going to Murtley, each step I take takes me away from the guns and bombs, fortunately. I still wish I could join Flare on her tropical, modern island.

Talking of her island, we are at the harbour of it now. I saw Flare looking for me, and I instantly dashed over and hugged her, and said my final goodbyes. She waved at me a leaped with excitement as she got off the vessel. Then she was gone. I felt alone: hopeless even. Then before I knew it, we were at Murtley. As I stumbled of the boat, a clique of popular kids sniggered at my fate, while kids going to more mediocre islands gave me a look of sympathy.

This was it, I thought. This was it...