Chapter 2: Betrayal

Jon, Harvey, Cay, and Bell racked their brains for a plan a they ran down hallway after hallway. Enemy boots and voices seemed to sound on every wall. Their time was out and they knew it. 

"Jon, I have definitely seen this hallway before." Harvey's voice was had a joking tone to it as usual, but anyone who looked close enough could see the worry in his eyes.

"Harvey, every hallway looks the same. You wouldn't know it if we passed the same hallway five times in a row," Jon replied exasperatingly. 

Bell spoke up from the back of the group. "You don't know where we're going, do you? You're just taking random turns, and hoping to somehow find the exit."

Jon spun around, almost smashing into Cay. "Do you have a better idea? By all means, do tell us," he sad sarcastically. Bell looked down, watching every step her foot took closely.

Satisfied, Jon turned forward again, about to make a right turn, when suddenly two doors on either side of the hallway opened and two forms in black clothes stepped out, quickly grabbing two teens each by the arm. Instantly, the young agents realized who they were dealing with: Shalligra, the strongest and deadliest soldiers of the enemy. The foursome cooperated, already thinking up a plan of escape. After about twenty minutes of silence, the Shalligra stopped at a white door, which, of course, looked like all the others. One of the black agents pulled out a key and unlocked the door. The teens were then escorted inside, and the door slammed behind them. Right in the middle of the room, seated on a metal fold-up chair, was a tall man with a scraggly red beard and a long pink scar sliced across his eye. In his hand he flipped a small dagger, which glinted in the bright white light every time it slice up into the air. The Shalligra shoved the agents forward, so that they stood directly in front of the bearded man.

"Ah, yes. I was hoping you'd pay me a visit. I have waited so long for your arrival." He winked boyishly at them with his scarred eye, showing his crooked teeth as he did. Bell spit on the floor, apparently back to her usual spirited self. The man completely ignored her, beckoning instead to Jon, who walked willingly up to the scarred man. Harvey growled under his breath.

"Thank you for you help, Jon. Your services will be heavily rewarded. You may go now." He turned just then to view their shocked faces. The sight seemed to him funny, and he burst into deep, bellowing laughter. 

Jon looked to each of them, smiling cruelly as a walked out the door. For a fraction of a minute, his gazed rested on Cay, and his face contorted in sadness, before he resumed his evil look and left, leaving behind the three people who thought they had known him.