4. "you are not a douche"

→ Connor walked back from the bathroom at the back of the plane to see AJ scanning through her music library, one earbud in and the other dangling

                   → Connor walked back from the bathroom at the back of the plane to see AJ scanning through her music library, one earbud in and the other dangling. A smile made it's way to Connor's face as he plopped down, the girl still not knowing what song to listen to.

"Since you've been gone, is a pretty good song," he grinned, glancing over the girl's shoulder.

AJ turned to him with a skeptical look on her face. "The one by kelly Clarkson?"

The Oilers captain made a duh face, "obviously. That's my jam."

AJ grinned, scrolling down a little ways to find the song. "I guess under the circumstances it's the perfect song."

"That song always gets me going. Gets me pumped up. Before games, late at night, it's my go to." Connor picked up the earbud that wasn't in AJ's ear, and held it in front of her, silently asking if he could listen to. Nodding, AJ smiled, turning up the volume slightly as the music reached the boys ears.

"So, late at night, eh? You're a night owl?" AJ questioned, Connor's head bobbing to the beat.

"Since you've been go- Oh yeah. Definitely not a morning person," he continued to mouth the words, swaying back and forth to purposely bump into the girl who hadn't moved an inch.

Connor was able to get a slight smile out of the girl, as they brushed shoulders. "Are you a morning person?" He asked, the song coming to an end.

"Yes, for sure. I'm up before eight almost everyday."

Connor froze, "holy shit. Teach me, please."

The girl nodded distractedly, continuing her search for a song. "Here, can I pick another song?" Connor asked, the girl glancing up and nodding curiously, handing the boy her phone. "Do you like country? Pop? Rap? Rock?"

AJ nodded, "I like almost anything."

Connor stayed still with AJ's phone in his hand. He thought about a song for a moment before pulling out his own phone and unplugging AJ's, proceeding to plug his in. "I got a few really good songs, that I'm sure you'd like."

Connor scrolled through his music before clicking on a song, the beat taking AJ by surprise. "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked. A classic." Connor smiled, nodding his head at the words.

As the song continued on, AJ found herself smiling and nodding her head subconsciously. "Wow, this is a really good song." As the chorus played for the last time, AJ turned to Connor smiling. "You know your music."

Connor grinned, shrugging but nodding his head. "There's plenty more where that came from." The next song he played was Talladega by Eric Church, a song the girl's heard before, but completely forgot about.

"I love this song," Connor added in the middle of it.

"Me too," AJ agreed, smiling at the slow beat of the song. Letting her head fall onto Connor's shoulder, she let her eyes flutter closed, feeling like she was on cloud nine.

The smell of Connor's cologne was something she wished to smell more often. His warmth was something she's never felt before, and she loved it.

"His whole album's great," Connor commented, "but I gotta say, Thomas Rhett's new album is absolutely amazing."

Connor proceeded to play the album Life Changes, letting all the songs play. "You really know you're music, huh?" AJ questioned, wanting to strike up a conversation with the boy once more.

"Yeah, I don't know what I'd do without music." AJ lifted her head up off the boys shoulder. "It has the power to change your mood, change your life. Some people use fashion to express themselves, but I use music. I like to think the songs you like, represent you. And if you listen closely to what people listen to and like, you'll know more about them then anyone else."

AJ nodded her head impressed. "I never thought of it like that. I don't know what I'd do without music, I love it. But like you said, I use fashion to express myself. Music would be a less expensive way, though." She chuckled, causing Connor to crack a smile as well.

"Yeah, I've never really been a fashionista."

AJ nodded, "not to be stereotypical or anything, but that really surprises me. I thought most hockey players would be douchey, money hungry, party animals, who love fashion." She paused, giving Connor a small grin, biting her lip. "Clearly that's not the case, though. You, Connor McDavid, are most certainly, not a douche."

Connor shook his head, though a very small tightlipped smile was on his face. "Yeah, there are some guys who are definitely like that, but for the most part they're all good guys."

"Yeah, I can see that."