chapter 2

Sitting next to Maxi at the back of the auditorium I listen to the teachers and staff welcoming us back to school. They talk about the sports they offer this year along with any changes to the school curriculum.

Then I hear the part I dreaded most. Welcoming the new kids. A buzz went through the crowd of students at the mention of new students.

I feel my face burn red and look down at my hands in my lap.

"Blake Remington?"

Hearing my name called by one of the teachers on stage I expect them to get me to stand so everyone can stare and gossip about the new kid. But no, the teacher has a different idea. 

"Please come up on stage."

Standing up I make a beeline towards stage and slowly walk up the stairs to the teachers, aware of the couple hundred eyes on me.

The teacher gives me a bored smile and suddenly hands me the mike. This seems to be getting worse by the minute.

"Now Blake, please tell us about yourself."

Oh shit.

"Um...well... what do you want to know?"

Oh gosh this is awkward.

"Anything..." The teacher replied giving me a bored look again.

No shit Sherlock.

"Ok... well hi I'm Blake Remington. I am a dancer and...i just moved to California from Europe. I'm 16 and am in grade 11..." I look over at the teacher hoping I'm done.

So much for not standing out.

The teacher excused me and I walk my embarrassed red face back to my seat. Heads turn as I walk by. The teachers continue to talk before welcoming another student onstage. But this student isn't new.

Onto the stage walks the boy from the hallway. I frown instantly.

"That's Nicholas, but everyone calls him Nick." I hear Maxi whisper next to me.

"Welcome back Beckingsworth High." Nicholas smirks and I swear he looks right at me.

"Heyyy Nick." I hear a predominately girl student body call back.

Guessing he's a fan with the ladies, huh.

Nick continues to talk about the clubs being run this year, mostly sharing how he will be the captain of this years sports department. He then tells us the information and sign up time for the clubs will be tomorrow, and walks off the stage, to the disappointment of my female classmates.

The principal then enters the stage to dismiss us, but the room is already bustling with excited school girls chatting about what clubs they will join and who's going to try out for cheer.

"Common', lets get out of here," Maxi whispers at my shoulder.

She pulls me behind a curtain in the back of the room that then takes us to a side door. Opening the door we are met with a blinding light that soon fades to become the bleachers on the football field.

"Ummm, so-" I am cut off by Maxi slapping a hand over my mouth, as two preppy girls in expensive clothing walk past.

We duck behind the bleachers, and the girls stop in front of us and continue to talk in hushed voices.

"I can't believe he dumped you!"

"Shut up! I already told you, I dumped him."

"That's not what it said on Courts blog Melissa-"

"I swear to god April, if I hear one more word about that blog i'll-"

I look up from my hiding spot to see who has interrupted their argument, and find the unfriendly girl who gave me my room number this morning. The girl, who is presumably Melissa, has turned around and is now facing a smirking Nick.

"Hello ladies.." Nick says, his voice like melted caramel. "Talking 'bout me?"

"Speak of the devil." Melissa says rolling her eyes.

"Um i'm gonna go." The other girl who must be April says.

"No, no need. I was about to leave anyway." Melissa turns on her heels and starts sashaying away from an unpleased Nick.

"We'll be back together soon anyway." I hear Melissa say to April before they disappear out of sight.

Nick takes out a cigarette an puts it in his mouth but doesn't light it.

"Enjoying yourselves?" Nick is looking off into the distance but then turns to looks at us behind the bleachers.

I look at Maxi, surprised and worried. Maxi just stares back and we slowly begin to rise into standing position. The smirk is back on Nicks's face.

"Hey Nick... we were just..." Maxi trails off and Nick raises an eyebrow in mockery.

Seeing Maxi isn't going anywhere i try to change the subject by putting a disgusted look on my face and saying, " You smoke?"

"Yes sweetheart i smoke an unlit cigarette just for fun." Nick replies sarcastically. Seeing my confused look he adds, "No. No i don't." And takes the unlit cigarette in his hand and throws it to the floor.

"Don't call my sweetheart." Is what i manage to come up with in reply.

"We'll see about that...sweetheart." Is all Nick says as he brushes past me, softly stroking my bare neck.

After he is gone i let out the breath i didn't realize i was holding and Maxi squeals next to me.

"HOLY. SHIT. What the fuck just happened?!"

"What do you mean?" I ask, honestly confused about the resent events.

"All i'm going to say is that you better watch out for Melissa, that's a dangerous path ahead of you." Maxi winks at me before saying, "...Sweetheart."

I lunge at her but she is already running back inside the school, laughing loudly.