Chapter 14: Calthius

"Mother, are you out of your mind?" I storm after her, my confusion fueling my irritation. After the meeting on the queen of Serestine's proposition, she had abruptly left, dismissing her court ladies. I only managed to catch her after one of the angel guards tipped me off, and even now, she walks away from me, her pace quickening by the minute.

"Mother!" I bring my voice to a yell, letting it echo through the white, hollow hallway. My mother stops and turns to stare out of the arched windows. I stomp all the way to her, only halting when I am right beside her. "What were you thinking, Mother?" My voice is softer now, but I make sure it still carries a hard edge. I cannot decide if I should be concerned or pissed at her. How does bringing one of our most formidable enemies straight into our territory do any good for us?!

I am about to give another cry of protest when she raises her hand to silence me. "Calthius," her voice is barely at a whisper, but it is strong. "Serestine's warlord can be manipulated into a valuable asset. You may not see it, but I do, and I now have the power to carry out my will upon this realm. I am sure you do not understand everything, my little love, but you will." She looks down at me, her braided pale hair glistening like silver in the afternoon light. Placing a cold, graceful hand on my shoulder, she leans down and plants a motherly kiss on my head. Her faded pink lips are cold as well, and as I let her walk away in her white, voluminous gown, I wonder if the cold has touched her mind and heart as well.

"Come, Calthius. They will be arriving in a few hours. As Serestine's warlord is coming as an ambassador, we are to greet them as the ruling nobility," she calls before turning and leaving my sight. 

Right, she actually did approve the proposition. It still seems so ridiculous, that I suppose my mind has been thinking of it as nothing more than a dream. "Wonderful, the slayer of entire angel legions is going to come here and try to talk us into a peace treaty," I mutter under my breath as I follow my mother. I used to think that the clutches of war would never reach this sparkling, timeless realm, but I suppose that changes must happen. Even if I despise those changes with my very soul.

"Do you honestly think that Serestine's warlord will be able to find a way to peace?" I catch up with my mother as we walk towards Heaven's Gate.

She gives a low, uncharacteristic chuckle. "My little love, you are more clueless than I thought. Serestine's warlord most likely has no intention to make peace between our realm and hers. She has obviously come here to target the Top Order, and maybe even you and me."