Chapter 35: Ansel

It is my third night here, and I search for my brother in the darkness of my sleep, swimming through thousands of other dreams, watching them pass by in flickers of light and sound. But once again, I do not find my brother in the vast network of consciences. With a heavy sigh, I withdraw my magic from the dark world and return my mind to the physical plane. My father has probably barred off any means of reaching Calthius, even those on different dimensions. It seems my little brother will have to find his own way out of his prison, but at least he will have help. The warlord of Serestine and a powerful familiar are forces to be reckoned with.

I let the blackness take hold of me for a few more hours before fully waking. It will not be long before my mother's assassin creeps into my room. As per our agreement, I hear footsteps along the wall, skirting lower and closer to the ground. I let the killer draw near, keeping my body loose and relaxed as I curl my hand around the knife underneath my pillow. They stand over me, and I give an almost imperceptible nod. I am awake. Carry out the plan. They raise their weapon over my neck and bring it down, but not fast enough to kill.

I stop their weapon's point with the flat of own blade, opening my eyes and bursting out of my bed at lightning speed. The assassin leaps back as well, brandishing their dagger. They fly towards me, swinging and jabbing with trained accuracy. I spin and leap, my feet barely touching the ground as we engage in a dangerous, staged dance of life and death. They retreat back a few steps before letting two daggers soar right at my head. I manage to avoid the first, but the second nicks my cheek and my ear. Smart, giving me at least some minor injuries to cover this whole thing up.

Then I advance, knocking their daggers out of the sky, but also letting the bare minimum lace my skin in small cuts. They slowly back towards the wall, just as we planned, and when I launch my knife at their chest, they scurry back up to where they came from, launching daggers down on me as they retreat. The clatter of metal echoes through my room, as does their pounding footsteps against the stone wall. But thankfully, they are gone when Averith races through the door, bewildered but ready to fight.

"What happened?" She asks, taking in the weapons scattered around me, as well as the knife buried in the wall.

"An assassin just tried to kill me." I drop my voice to a dangerous low as I walk over and yank my knife out of the wall with ease. Turning, I wipe off the dust and dirt on the smooth blade before tossing it onto my bed. "I thought you said this place was safe."

"It is." Soranel appears, followed by Malelai and Kassiel. "We don't know how that assassin got in, but it won't happen again."

"It better not," I snort, gathering up the assassin's weapons into my arms. "They used these to attack me. Gave me a few nicks before I scared them off." I step into the light cast by the open door, letting them see the bleeding cuts on my cheek, my forearms, and my ankle.

Kassiel takes the weapons from me, holding one up and examining it in the light. His eyes widen in anger and disbelief, his face tensing up. "These are the daggers in the royal armory. There's no mistaking the design of the handles and the shape of the blades."

"Has your allegiance been compromised?" I cross my arms, narrowing my eyes. Make them sweat and doubt. Cripple them from the mind.

"Not possible," Averith assures me, but there is worry in her voice. "There's no logical explanation for her possibly knowing our ties to King Varlock."

"My life was just threatened, and if the queen isn't behind it, then who is? There is no third party that I can think of." Their paranoia should be ramping up.

"Perhaps Serestine," Malelai suggests, but even as she says it, the lack of belief is there. Kassiel, Averith, and Soranel all shake their heads in unison. Serestine has no means of reaching Heaven, and even less of a chance of sneaking into the royal armory.

"But how does she know?" Averith asks once again. "We were careful and cautious."

"Apparently not cautious enough," Soranel mutters bitterly. "I suggest we speed up our plans. How fast can our agents develop the poison?"

"We can cut off four days, maybe a whole entire week if it comes to that, but at least seven days are necessary," Kassiel responds.

"And what will the queen think when you tell her that I am suddenly ready to appear in a week instead of two? Drastically changing plans will do us nothing good. It might even ascertain her suspicions that I am a double agent." Give them a choice. Blow everything to get rid of my mother sooner, or wait it out at the possible cost of my life.

"But what if another attempt happens? We cannot hole ourselves up in here to guard you. It will attract suspicion as well," Malelai says, sharing frustrated looks with the rest of the Top Order.

"I have proven that I am not as easy to kill as she thinks I am. We have time before she will make another attempt. Stick to our original plan, and in the end, we will be met with success." I step towards them, my face emanating an air of decisiveness and leadership.

Silence follows as the Top Order mull over my words. My way is logical, safe enough, and will give them what they want. The creases on their brows disappear as they all nod in agreement. One by one, they file out of the door, shutting it close behind them. In the darkness, I can hear the sound of Kassiel destroying the weapons, and the three sisters murmuring amongst each other. As the noises fade, I erase the blood from the floor, sweeping it up with my magic and turning it into nothing more than dust. A little wave of my fingers and the slit in the wall from my knife seals itself back up. When all is completely silent, I slip back under the covers and open my mind to my mother.

All has gone well. I have managed to convince them not to deter from their original plan. They still plan to poison you eleven days from now.

Good. Let them try. Will you be able to fulfill our own agenda?

Obtaining the poison will be difficult, and I need an inside servant at the banquet.

It shall be done. Three swirls under the left eye, female. She will be carrying the wine glasses. Shall I send another assassin?

Yes, after a day or two. And continue making attempts on my life. Eventually, they will not listen to my suggestions anymore, and will speed up their plans. Then we can take them out.

The Top Order has no idea what is coming for them.