Chapter 4: What is With Us and Buses?

Aspen's POV

I didn't exactly know what happened. I remembered walking towards the front of the minibus and scanning the driver's seat but all that remained was the dirty chair. For some reason, the bus door stood wide open, like a gaping mouth to a tiny yellow beast. I stepped outside to go investigate some more. Outside I spotted the body of the driver. It had no visible wounds, but he was definitely dead. I held my breath. Someone else had died. What was going on?

 I guess I showed no expression on my face, what was there to express? I should have probably grabbed my flashlight, but my mind wasn't in it. I sighed and turned back around to face the bus. Just as I placed my foot on the rickety steel step, something knocked it from under me. I tripped and fell, hitting my head on the road. I clambered to my hands and knees. What the hell just hit me? I looked around, craning my neck as best I could, but there was nothing around except for the highway and the forest lightly illuminated by the very distant town and the starry sky above. I touched my forehead and felt something sticky and warm on my fingertips. Blood. I shook my head and got to my feet, trying to regain my balance. Whatever had done this wasn't going to go unnoticed. I looked back into the dark bus, in which Shayd was still waiting for me. I convinced my feet to walk forwards and into the bus. I needed to make sure Shayd was alright. Whatever had killed the driver would probably still be around.

~~~

I quietly walked down the narrow aisle of the bus. I was getting tired. I glanced down at my watch. It was midnight and we hadn't even got to campus yet. I sighed and continued my slow walk through the silent bus. It was eerily quiet, and there was not a single soul on the bus. Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention to the bus prior when there may not have been anyone else on here. 

~~~

I heard footsteps approaching me. I clenched my fists and peered into the darkness. I saw the silhouette of a hooded figure approaching me. I lunged forward and threw my fist at the figure, hitting it on the side of the head. 

"OW! What was that for!?" The voice of a teenage girl yelped. It sounded awfully familiar. The figure clutched her face, doubling over in pain.

"Aspen?" The girl asked. I smiled in the darkness, it was Shayd. "Why'd you punch me?" She continued, some anger seeping itself into her normally gentle voice. 

"I thought you- Oh never mind," I answered, finishing my sentence stubbornly. 

"Fine, but next time, don't go punching random people in the face," Shayd said, gaining a bit more anger. I knew she was pretty careless, but this was going pretty far. After the events of the past few days, of course I would be unnerved. 

"But what if you are a serial killer? Then what? Ask politely if you're gonna kill me?" I asked, vaguely. Shayd cracked a smile, her teeth glinting faintly. The lighting made her croaked smile somewhat psychotic which made me shiver. She looked at my head slowly and pointed at it. 

"What happened?" Shayd asked flatly. I explained what I saw and about the thing that knocked me to the floor. She seemed to take in every word, believing everything I said. She was gullible like that. I almost felt bad for her. 

"Well, I am super tired, but I don't think that sleeping on this bus would be a safe choice," Shayd said quietly. Since when did she become the clever one? I thought for a moment and nodded. 

"Yeah, but what are we gonna do?" I asked her. She seemed to think for a moment as her smile dropped. 

"We could walk. I know a route through the forest that I use to take when-" Shayd trailed off. I understood every last bit of it. Shayd, like myself, had a traumatic past. She had lost her best friend and cousin, and I lost a family member, one who I despised.