Chapter 10: Slenderman?!

Shayd's POV

The next few days, the school remained silent. Training proceeded as usual, with the normal gym, school, gym, track sequence. Conversations were hushed and security was increased ten folds. It would have made me reassured if it wasn't for the constant interrogation and our new 'homework.' Each night for the rest of the year, we were instructed to keep up a diary for who knows what for. The teachers insisted they wouldn't read it, but I highly doubted that. Heck, it was probably for evidence towards these strange occurrences. 

~~~

Each day at lunch, we were escorted to the new eating area. It was an indoor basketball court, decked out with new tables and chairs. Security guards lined the entrances and exits, just standing and watching. Towards the furthest end of the court was a makeshift kitchen, lined with hot boxes whilst the old cafeteria was rebuilt. A whole lot of renovations occurred, mostly to increase security. Hallways were built where they hadn't been to connect all of the classrooms, lined with rose bushes to prick intruders. How the school could afford all of this was a complete mystery to me. 

~~~

Today, I sat alongside Aspen, a large TV flickering with colour overhead. Like for the past few weeks, the cafeteria was pretty quiet aside from the occasional conversations and clatter of cutlery. Aspen had gained a new scar that jagged across her left bicep, snaking underneath the sleeve of her uniform but aside from that, she had made a full recovery. I nibbled on my sandwich, watching the occasional riots that arose. Students, particularly the boys, hated being caged up. They would lash out at the guards, trying to get out. It almost felt as though we were being kept in rather than something was being kept out. Both Joseph and Blake had headed off to protest as well today, leaving Aspen and I alone. 

I light hand touched my shoulder, snapping me from my thoughts. The boy, who I very much recognised, wore a pair of tinted glasses, obscuring his eyes. A large thick scarf wrapped around his neck and his mouth. 

"Jack?" I muttered. Aspen glanced up from her book, dropping her cup of water. It clattered to the ground, but no one gave it any attention. 

"What are you doing here? How did you even get in?" She hissed, clenching the empty cup as if she were prepared to throw it. EJ eyed her carefully before proceeding to speak. 

"I was coming to see that you two survived. Sorry about before." He muttered, plopping down alongside me. He rested his face in his hands, looking almost as bad as he did the day he saved us. His wounds had been bandaged, sure, but his clothes were still torn and bloodied and his hair towards the mattered side. 

"What exactly do you mean by that?" I asked quietly, trying my best to not raise my voice. Jack shuffled uncomfortably and glanced around for a brief moment, studying the riots and the shouting. Hopefully, we wouldn't be heard over their chanting. 

EJ threaded his fingers, considering his words for a moment. "Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, Slendy and his Proxies are trying to kill you guys. Why? I don't know." EJ's voice was barely even a whisper underneath his scarf. 

"Thanks, but seriously, why are you here?" Aspen interrupted, slamming her cup onto the table quietly. 

"Well, I-I just wanted to make sure you were ok." He muttered, glancing specifically towards Aspen. If he could blush, I'm was pretty sure he was. He kept glancing up at Aspen then returning his gaze to the ground. It definitely didn't set the mood. Aspen stared at him for a long time, her face turned in disgust, instantly replaced by a steady glare. That glare alone was enough to scare EJ away. He left without another word. 

Aspen let out a long sigh, brushing some hair from her face. 

"Well... that was... strange," I said, choosing my words carefully. Aspen nodded and muttered something angrily to herself. Aspen got up and stormed off. I groaned, watching as she passed. I considered following her but thought better of it. Sometimes she just needs some alone time too cool off.