/quattro/

/quattro/

Just as the two priests were almost out of sight, about to turn a corner, an old little Volkswagen Beetle car pulled up in front of Fiorella and she seemed to know exactly who it belonged to. From the car emerged a young man with dark hair, fair skin, and dark eyes. He was tall, and handsome, not much older than her or Jongdae, and she ran into his embrace with a big smile that quickly made an appearance on her lips. He was equally glad to see her and lifted her up in his arms and spun her around as she giggled delightedly. When they pulled away she got on her tip toes to kiss him on the lips.

He seemed to say something to her before they both got in the car and disappeared down the dirt road. It was evident that there was something between them.

Jongdae had stopped in his tracks and was now turned in their direction full on, watching them go with surprise until the car could no longer be seen. His eyes had been drawn to Fiorella the entire time and now there was nothing to look at. Just an empty dirt lot with no beauty in it. Father Cesar realized he was no longer following and said to him, "That was Fiorellita's boyfriend. His name is Rubens Villalba or something like that. I don't much care for him. That boy is bad news, if you ask me, always trying to make the church look bad in his articles that he writes for the town newspaper. He's an atheist, and thinks no one should believe in God. Such an insolent boy." The way he spoke of Fiorella's boyfriend was with disdain, especially when he mentioned that he was an atheist. If Rubens was writing articles to make the church look bad, then he was probably writing about St. Ignatius and that was something he was sure Father Cesar didn't like.

They continued down a small stone path lined with trees and bushes full of flowers until they reached a small house like building behind the church. It was there where the priest lived whenever he didn't have church duties to tend to.

Father Cesar led Jongdae to one of the rooms upstairs. Most of the rooms on the first floor were either offices or storage rooms for bibles and other items that were used at religious services during different times of the liturgical year. Father Cesar would have to show Jongdae where everything was, but for the time being he would let the new priest rest. There was no use in giving him a tour when everything would probably go in one ear and out the other.

When he opened the door, Jongdae saw it was a small room and very plain. There was only a made bed in the far left corner, a night stand, a desk on the right, and a wooden cross on the door. Though it was very simple, to Jongdae it was already beginning to feel a lot like home. Back in the seminary, he always had to share everything with the other priests in training. He shared a room with three other boys, as well as a community bathroom for their whole floor. This was a small room, but it was all his. Jongdae liked that idea.

He had been at the seminary since he was eleven years old, and though he learned a lot and he loved it there, it always felt more like a school than an actual home to him. His mother had dropped him off there when he turned eleven and it was allowed to start with his religious learning. When he was born, he had several problems with his health. It was so severe that doctors thought he wouldn't make it past his first birthday.

His mother was a very religious woman and she prayed to God every single day. In her prayers, she begged for him to let her youngest son live. And with that plea, she made a promise that would determine Jongdae's life forever.

She promised his life to God. If he were to survive his sickness and fully recover, he would become a priest and serve the community in God's name. Jongdae never had a say in it. That was just the way it always was.

The doctors were surprised that the baby made a miraculous recovery and seemed to be in perfect health.

And his mother never thought to go back on her promise. From a very early age, Jongdae and his brother always knew that he would become a priest.

Though his faith was strong and he did not dislike being where he was now, Jongdae somewhat resented his mother for what she did to him. He didn't like that she had made that promise without asking for his opinion on the matter. He hadn't been asked if he wanted to devote his life to God and become a priest. But how could he have made an opinion anyway? He was a baby who knew nothing and whose mother relied on faith when the world of medicine condemned him. They said he wouldn't survive and his mother had hope that he would.

Jongdae set his backpack down by the doorway and walked into the middle of the room, taking it all in with awe.

"Its nothing extravagant," Father Cesar admitted with a small sigh. He wasn't sure how Jongdae lived back in Korea, but he wasn't sure if the young priest would be impressed or even satisfied with his new living quarters. He added a comment about the room, "But a priest was never meant to live a life of luxury. That will come when we enter the kingdom of heaven."

With a smile playing on his lips, Jongdae agreed, saying, "I like the room, and I like the village. Its very peaceful. I know I will be very happy here."

"I'm glad you like it." The older priest added as he observed him. Most priests who went to Valle Daza ended up requesting to change communities after just a few weeks. Jongdae hadn't been the first and only priest to attempt replacing Father Cesar. The majority of the priests didn't like that it was so secluded from the rest of the country, and that they had to travel hours by bus to go somewhere else. But that was how life on the pampas had always been. He was glad, and rather surprised that Jongdae seemed to like it. 

With a polite smile, Father Cesar added something else, "I'm going to get ready for confessions in a couple of hours. If you need anything, don't hesitate to look for me. Oh," He remembered one last thing before finally leaving him alone in his new bedroom. "Tomorrow is our monthly meeting with two other priests in the area. They're really excited to meet you."

After Jongdae promised he would attend the meeting, the older man turned and left the room, leaving the new priest there on his own.

Father Cesar closed the door as he left, and Jongdae went to lie down on his bed. His bed, in his room. His dark eyes stared up at the ceiling for few minutes until he began drifting off to sleep, as it finally sunk in how tired he actually was. And as he did, he found it strange that his thoughts drifted towards the young girl he had met that day.

All he could think about was Fiorella.

-

here's another little update for paradiso. i hope you're all liking this story. we are getting one step closer to the real action starting. so please stay tuned for that. 

and how are you all liking priest jongdae?

he's so cute and nice, right? anyway, thank you all for reading, voting, and supporting me. it means the entire world and more.

-clary